Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
I'm going to try and set up an on-going thread where we tell each other about good places to see wild herps, how to get there,best time of the year, what herps you are likely to see and the chances of seeing the animal. I'll start off

Place Name Girrawin National Park.
How to get there its on the Queensland-NSW border near Stanthorpe About three hours south of Brisbane.
Best Time Spring or autum, Its hot in the summer and freezing in the winter (below zero tempretures)
Wild Herps
Cunningham Skinks - Abundant and easy to see but they like the higher points. Any of the granite monoliths have a colony. These are the new england morph with the gold head and beautiful pattern.
Gilberts Dragons - Common but cryptic
Nobbi Dragon - Very Common
Tree crevice Skink - large dark skink
Eastern Water Dragon - Only seen a couple
Large 2 meter plus brown snake - very fast and very shy - possibly a taipan.

Other notes Have seen Platypus and Sugar Gliders and satin bowerbirds. Also thieves work the campground at night, their favorite targets are bannanas and bread (brush-tailed possums) :)

We live in the pilbara and you would have to be god cursed or blind not to see herps here. You fly in or drive in. 2 hr flight from perth or 16 hr drive. Best times are November to May. We commonly see:
Pythons Stimsons, Perthensis, Bhp, not so often Pilbara Olive ( barroni )
Elapids Mulga, Gwarder, Rosens, Yellow Faced Whipsnake, Moon snake, Death Adders ( pyrrhus, wellsi )
Dragons Beardeds, Ring tailed, Ta-Ta ( longirostris ), Central netted
Geckos Knob tailed, Bynoe's, Fat tailed, Western spiny tailed
Monitors Perentie, Goulds, Panoptes, Accies, brevies
Centralian Blue tongues

Because it gets so hot here your ' day ' herps can often be seen at night when it cools down to 30 degrees.

You might as well wright people a shopping list :roll:

- Milk
- Bread
- Orange juice
- Vegimite
- extra soft toilet Paper
- cheese
- Butter
- tea Bags
- Soap
- Ice Cream

HEHEHEHEHEHE

oh
sorry guys....didn't realise :cry:

Brodes,
You forgot your red cordial......... :twisted: :wink: :lol:

i heard that a good place to go herping is the zoo, was told you get to see a few different species :p

You can't even talk about it too freely in Melbourne. I showed someone a good spot last year which had almost nothing other than little whip snakes and eastern browns (although you could easily find 30 snakes in a couple of hours there) and a few months later when I went almost every rock had been moved and not replaced and I found less than a quarter of what was usually there previously. Brown snakes aren't even worth anything!

i know the feeling Sdaji as i am from melb too and the same thing happen to me, except i was seeing browns/tigers/ jacky lizards

Bad, bad idea...
You might as well wright people a shopping list
Please! Just because someone is interested in observing a reptile in it's natural habitat doesn't automatically mean they are out to vaccuum up everything they come across. Most stuff is that common and readily available these days why would you bother spending hours out in the bush to catch some parasite ridden reptile when you could buy a clean healthy captive bred one.
I'm not naive enough to think wild collecting doesn't go on but believe it or not there are still a couple of honest people out there.

Please! Just because someone is interested in observing a reptile in it's natural habitat doesn't automatically mean they are out to vaccuum up everything they come across. Most stuff is that common and readily available these days why would you bother spending hours out in the bush to catch some parasite ridden reptile when you could buy a clean healthy captive bred one.

Splitmore, in some ways I agree with you. I can't understand why people bother looting places for parasite ridden reptiles which will take ages to adjust, but despite that I know that it does happen. Just because it's stupid doesn't mean people won't go and steal everything. What I can't understand is why people who loot the place don't even bother to put the rocks back into their proper position. If you're going to poach, surely the least you can do is roll the rocks and logs back for Pete's sake :(

Why someone/several people came to take all the brown snakes (they didn't seem to have touched the little whips) I just can't understand.

SW: I know of some good tiger, brown and jacky spots in Melbourne, but I've never seen tigers with either of the other two (although I know of places they're supposed to be together). I'm particularly suprised you know of a spot where tigers and browns are together. Have you seen many of both there? What general area of Melbourne is it?

Sdaji,
I find it very hard to believe that eastern browns could be locally wiped out due to a few collectors. I'm sure there must be some other factor in play there. More often than not if a reptile is removed from somewhere it merely creates a void for another one to move in and take it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back