Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Netteddragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok so you must be getting sick of me now but before I choose and start researching a lizard I can take care of.

so i have a 1 foot tank

I don't mind if it needs a heat mat, but a heat lamp won't work as I have no space to put it in.

so if you could tell me a few species ON THE BASIC LICENSCE IN VICTORIA THAT ARE GOOD BEGINER REPTILES.

Cheers

I don't think anything will live comfortably in a 1 foot tank.
Why don't you do some research and wait until you can accommodate a larger tank?

I don't think anything will live comfortably in a 1 foot tank.
Why don't you do some research and wait until you can accommodate a larger tank?
can't afford or fit another tank, I'm lucky I even have a tanks his size it's alo45 cm wide

@MesseNoire many of the terrestrial geckos will be pretty comfortable in that size. Tubs for gecko racks are just as small if not smaller. You probably could even house a pair together (bigger is better with pairs though). [MENTION=39447]Netteddragon[/MENTION] I would suggest Nephrurus levis (smooth knob tail gecko) as well as sub species and Underwoodisaurus milli (thick tailed gecko). Thick tails don't require any heat but if heated with a heat mat than they will def benefit from it. Knob tails will require heat of some kind. Diplodactylus vittatus (eastern stone gecko) are also good beginner reptiles. Just to let you know most of our native geckos (including all o have mentioned) are nocturnal so you will only see them active in the early morning and at night. As well geckos are not a reptile that like to be frequently handled and it's not recommended to handle them everyday (I handle mine once a week for a few minutes while I'm cleaning the enclosures and thats it).

No lizard will be able to be kept in that size tank. Bearded dragons, bluetounges etc all require 4ft.
A gecko would be your only option. I wouldnt get more than one for that tank size.

@MesseNoire many of the terrestrial geckos will be pretty comfortable in that size. Tubs for gecko racks are just as small if not smaller. You probably could even house a pair together (bigger is better with pairs though). @Netteddragon I would suggest Nephrurus levis (smooth knob tail gecko) as well as sub species and Underwoodisaurus milli (thick tailed gecko). Thick tails don't require any heat but if heated with a heat mat than they will def benefit from it. Knob tails will require heat of some kind. Diplodactylus vittatus (eastern stone gecko) are also good beginner reptiles. Just to let you know most of our native geckos (including all o have mentioned) are nocturnal so you will only see them active in the early morning and at night. As well geckos are not a reptile that like to be frequently handled and it's not recommended to handle them everyday (I handle mine once a week for a few minutes while I'm cleaning the enclosures and thats it).
yeah I like thick tails, I have done quite a bit of research on them but still don't know what type of terrarium is it desert or forest?

Mate, the only geckos that would suit that enclosure would be marbled geckos, I have told you heaps of times, if u want to keep thickies or knobbies, purchase a bigger enclosure, always cheap ones on buy/sell sites on Facebook or gumtree ..if u can't afford a bigger enclosure I don't think you should be keeping reptiles! I would save up more money purchase a nice enclosure instead of trying to cut corners and cram thickies or knobbies in a 1foot enclosure!

Mate, the only geckos that would suit that enclosure would be marbled geckos, I have told you heaps of times, if u want to keep thickies or knobbies, purchase a bigger enclosure, always cheap ones on buy/sell sites on Facebook or gumtree ..if u can't afford a bigger enclosure I don't think you should be keeping reptiles! I would save up more money purchase a nice enclosure instead of trying to cut corners and cram thickies or knobbies in a 1foot enclosure!

+1 Marble geckos are a great starting species. I don't think you even need a license for them in victoria.

Marbled geckos are probably the best option, but you could keep 1 thick tail in that tank. Either species will do well with a substrate of sand and coir peat, even a few small rocks/pebbles. Add in a couple of larger rocks, and a small branch/twig, and you're done. A water source is obviously a must too.

30x45x45 is fine for one knobtail, or one thicktail gecko, especially if its male as they are half the size of females. You couldn't house multiples together (even if it was large enough you run the risk of stressing them out, tail loss from fighting etc)

Guys why are you saying a THICK TAILED GECKO won't be able to be kept in and encloure that is 30cmLx45cmWx45cmH? Seriously. Any knob tail or a thickie will easily and comfortably fit in that enclosure.

Guys why are you saying a THICK TAILED GECKO won't be able to be kept in and encloure that is 30cmLx45cmWx45cmH? Seriously. Any knob tail or a thickie will easily and comfortably fit in that enclosure.
It's 1 foot long btw, and they say it cause I ask to many questions

1 of either a marbled, thick tail, or knob tail will be fine in that tank. If you go with a marbled, make sure you have an escape-proof lid. They are escape artists, as we've found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back