Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to pick up a jungle carpet is with a BHP.......

:rolleyes: ozianimals BHP's are ugly stupid looking snakes if you ask me :lol: especially the really ugly QLD variety :lol:

depends on the jungle (imo) If they are reasonably calm I use my hands (no gloves) as they take away your sensitivity. But if they are agressive or adults I usually use a hook to move them when I need to to clean enclosure etc.

I have a female coastal that just absolutely hates me, while she sometimes tags my son, as soon as I get my hand in there she is on to me. It must be a female - female thing. My boy on the other hand is an absolute sweetheart, and has never bitten once.

you got a jungle you need to expect to be bitten
from everything i have read it doesnt matter how much you handle a jungle it may never calm down it all depends on the jungle itself

you should probably leave it alone for more then a day or 2 in its new home my suggestion would be a week or 2 without disturbing it or checking on it then attempt to feed it
and a day or 2 after feeding it if you have to then take it out

or buy a placid snake to handle and use the jungle more as a display snake then one your going to expect to handle every day or 2

jmo

also the fastest way to get over being "scared" of being bitten is to be bitten

my jungle only really comes out when cage needs to be cleaned i put my hand in there cop about 3 bites before i even get her then a few more as im removing her yeah if i decide im going to handle her itll take about 2-5 minutes till she stops biting me but then i keep movements to a minimum or simply i take her out put her in a container clean her cage and put her back in

if i want to handle a snake i go get one of my others

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies..

I attempted to get him out tonight unsuccessfully...he wa colied on the ground to begin with and so I put my hand in and he got his head close to my hand but didnt strike, then he took off up the wall and being my 1st time to try and pick him up I didnt want to grab to hard so he slipped out...he then moved up onto a average sized branch and coiled around and tagged me once on the thumb..once he was coiled around the branch I gave up, i wasnt sure what was the best way to get him off that so Ive just let him sit there and hes still there. Didnt want to stress him out anymore...

Didnt think it would be this hard...kinda dissappointing..

you will get there i was thinking of a jungle but i will give it a miss and stick to me spotted

best way to handle a jungle is to leave the poor thing alone, simple as that.!!
Why do you think most jungles behave like that??, because they DONT like human contact.
If you want something to play with get a dog or a cat, or maybe a beardie, but most snakes,( jungles inparticular), donot like to be handled. I dont care what anyone says, this is fact.
Some will handle it, most wont, but even with the animals that do handle it, it dosnt mean that they like it, and it can and does cause alot of problems at times.

If you need to move the snake, use a hook.

Beautifully articulated Rob, agree completely..

Although I can understand why some people love to handle their snakes, I must admit i enjoy "taming" the animals to the point they feel comfortable with being moved around with out striking, but some( most jungles) are just to nervous and just need to be left to their own devices and appreciated from a distance..

If I wanted something to just look at I would have bought a video...hopefully tomorrow works out and I can get him off the branch, anyone got some tips on how to get a snake off a branch its colied around? Hopefully he will come down and Ill take another shot at getting him before he climbs up again.

Just pick it up slowly with your hands and dont get bitten, so simple :lol:

Trueblue hit the nail on the head though they aint cuddly teady bears ffs.

just sit down on the sofa and let him sliver all over u it will soom get 2 no your sent make sure hands and body dont smell of food they carme down very fast once they no u aint a threat

If I wanted something to just look at I would have bought a video...hopefully tomorrow works out and I can get him off the branch, anyone got some tips on how to get a snake off a branch its colied around? Hopefully he will come down and Ill take another shot at getting him before he climbs up again.

Get yourself a nice big SA woma, feed the jungle to it & you can then handle them both all day long.:D:lol:
If you want to be able to handle it when its an adult then the sooner you start the better but as mentioned some snakes tolerate handling & some just dont, you have got yourself a species that is notorious for its attitude.:)

i got a lil hatchy jungle on the w/e when we picked him up he wouldnt stop striking we got him home and put him in his new click clack and he spent the night striking the walls when ever we moved around the room so we left him for the night.

the next night we went o get him out, with a hook of course, we hooked him and i placed my hand under his belly, he then proceeded to climb up my arm, i find if i move slowly and let him do his own thing then he doesnt feel intimidated and is less likely to strike. he has not tried to get me since that first night (touch wood) :) give it time

let him climb on you don't try to pick him up. get a hook then just let him explore your hand. he bites, he bites. not much you can about it but perservere.

my yearling bredli i got is always snapping at me, hasn't got me yet. had her just over a week, she's always out and about exploring her enclosure and has fed twice with no issues....i think she's just a moody little cow.

having said that she's great once she's out of her enclosure.

quadmoler, if you wanted something to play with, you shouldnt of got a snake.!!!! especially a jungle.

I'm probably missing something about jungles: I spose they look nice, but not so nice as to justify the species' temperament imho. Given their popularity I've probably just got it all wrong.:? I like to handle my pythons, and I wouldn't want to keep a python that I couldn't touch without getting bit.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a snake that was upset by handling I would not handle it just to get my jollies:D, and further I don't know that snakes like to be handled (then again how would we know), I suspect they just tolerate it (based on the fact that most aren't in a constant flee/bite mode when picked up).

With jungles as a newbie non jungler it seems like they are more likely to be snappy throughout life than other snakes, but you never know. I have an Olive that's shaping up to have a major personality disorder: one consolation with the jungles is I spose is they don't grow very big.;)

quadmoler, if you wanted something to play with, you shouldnt of got a snake.!!!! especially a jungle.

That's helpful... I'm sure he/she will get a lot out of that comment.

Just persevere with it. As others have said, covering the snakes head with a towel, or your other hand, is definitely very helpful. They generally won't strike at something big and flat.

To aid in getting the snake used to you (and you being used to the snake), pick it up with a tea-towel out of the enclosure... you'll be nervous as hell, but you need to try and relax. It'll try and slither around the towel and up your arm because it wants a high spot to feel safe.

Use both of your hands to keep the snake on the towel. Slowly start to wrap it up into a ball. You'll probably find the snake is keen to do this as they'd like to hide away and forget about all this stress.

Once wrapped up in a ball hold it in one hand still on the towel and place your other hand (without the towel) over the top like a cave. Then just sit down and watch telly for a half hour or so.

I stress that you'll be nervous as hell, but you need to get over that hurdle. Over time both you and the snake will get more familiar with each other's movements. You'll be able to tell when it's cranky, and when it's surprised... and then you'll start to not use the towel other than removing from its cage.

Good luck... you've picked a great species to start with! The rest will look like pussy-cats after this.

No reptile LIKES to be handled they all tolerate it to differing extents.

I'm probably missing something about jungles: I spose they look nice, but not so nice as to justify the species' temperament imho. Given their popularity I've probably just got it all wrong.:? I like to handle my pythons, and I wouldn't want to keep a python that I couldn't touch without getting bit.

Jungles have a bad reputation that (imo) is unwarranted. Jungles are like any other python. There are calm and aggressive animals in all species / sub species.

one consolation with the jungles is I spose is they don't grow very big.;)

I have some jungles around 7 foot long :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back