Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have one Julatten, one Tully and one Atherton. The Julatten is jsut beautiful in nature, the Atherton is a cracker, i dont dare stick my hands in to clean his enclosure at night as he is very alert then. The Tully put simply is an ****wipe. We have an understanding - i lover her, she hates me. Simple. Cleaning her enclosure isnt too abd if she is in her hide box. If she is on the floor i am guaranteed to get bitten if i don't use a hook.

Just part and parcel of having a Jungle i guess.

Simone.

Colin
Surely you aren’t suggesting that jungles naturally have the same temperament as any other commonly kept Australian python?
In regards to the percentage of snappy jungles compared to other species, about the only parallel would be the northern territory water python.

Jungles have a bad reputation that (imo) is unwarranted. Jungles are like any other python. There are calm and aggressive animals in all species / sub species.

I have some jungles around 7 foot long :D

Hi Colin, I know you have some beautiful Jungles & I have seen some calm ones also many agro ones but I have never seen an agressive woma & have caught plenty of wild SA's in fact I caught one a few months ago that was 7 foot with what I call an attitude, it had a couple of closed mouth lunges at me & sqeezed my arm till my hand was blue & then it let me remove a couple dozen ticks single handed, not one attempt to bite, try that with a wild jungle:)::lol:

Attachments

• DSCN1484.JPG
    DSCN1484.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 95
Jungles have a bad reputation that (imo) is unwarranted. Jungles are like any other python. There are calm and aggressive animals in all species / sub species.
I agree, but to me it seems all about probabilities: seems higher likelihood that you will get a snappy jungle compared to an anataresia species snake.

I have some jungles around 7 foot long :D
I didn't know they got that big! Ouch! Still not as big as my Olives will get ;)

No reptile LIKES to be handled they all tolerate it to differing extents.
To even use the term "likes" is to anthropomorphise: do snakes have likes (rodents, walks in the park) or dislikes? Or are they just fighting, resting, mating or eating?

ok ok :lol: I admit I may be 'slightly biased' towards jungles because they are my favourite morelia.

They are very cage protective but once out of their enclosure 'most' seem to settle down and allow handling to some extent. But I try and keep handling any of my animals down to a minimum as well :D

May be not agressive, but voracious food responses.

I have one that taste tests everything. That includes fingers, wrists, necks and inner thighs.

Simone.

Could not agree more but strangely enough it does not seem to be as apparent with SA's, I can feed all my adults & pick them up as soon as they have finished, my Ulurus I have to be a bit carefull with:D

To even use the term "likes" is to anthropomorphise: do snakes have likes (rodents, walks in the park) or dislikes? Or are they just fighting, resting, mating or eating?

Hi Matthew, Yes exactly what is Normal? :)

If I wanted something to just look at I would have bought a video...hopefully tomorrow works out and I can get him off the branch, anyone got some tips on how to get a snake off a branch its colied around? Hopefully he will come down and Ill take another shot at getting him before he climbs up again.

When our diamond is tightly coiled around his branch and we want to get him out, i just slowly touch the tip of his tail with my other hand (no jerky movements!). This seems to be a pretty sensitive area for him so he tries to get away from me by uncoiling and stretching off the branch so i can get him out of the enclosure easier. Don't know if this will work for your guy though... he many just bite you and recoil on the branch! Perhaps gloves and hook combo with tail tickle...?

Could not agree more but strangely enough it does not seem to be as apparent with SA's, I can feed all my adults & pick them up as soon as they have finished, my Ulurus I have to be a bit carefull with:D

My Tanami male is a shocker - you can hold him for about 5 minutes but then anything longer he starts licking your skin, short quick little licks like he is having a taste then a nudge then BANG. And he doesn't let go he chews until he tastes blood then spits you out.

Simone.

When our diamond is tightly coiled around his branch and we want to get him out, i just slowly touch the tip of his tail with my other hand (no jerky movements!). This seems to be a pretty sensitive area for him so he tries to get away from me by uncoiling and stretching off the branch so i can get him out of the enclosure easier. Don't know if this will work for your guy though... he many just bite you and recoil on the branch! Perhaps gloves and hook combo with tail tickle...?

Ill give that a shot if he stays on the branch, thanks for all the other advice to...ill also try the tea towel tactic its worth a shot.

Ill post later today and let you;s know how I went :)

hey nelly, yeah and all your comment does, is just tell him another way to stress his jungle out.

snakes are NOT demestic animals and as a rule dont like human contact, simple as that.!!!
Hell most demestic animals dont like to be played with either.!!

Perfect example,- touch a nervous snake with a hook/jigger and it will flinch, touch it with your hand and it will flinch 10 times worse. They can tell the differnce and they dont like it. Plain and simple.
Even most snakes that arnt nervous will react the same way.
It all boils down to common sence, which seems to be hard found in alot of people these days.

hey nelly, yeah and all your comment does, is just tell him another way to stress his jungle out.

snakes are NOT demestic animals and as a rule dont like human contact, simple as that.!!!
Hell most demestic animals dont like to be played with either.!!

Perfect example,- touch a nervous snake with a hook/jigger and it will flinch, touch it with your hand and it will flinch 10 times worse. They can tell the differnce and they dont like it. Plain and simple.
Even most snakes that arnt nervous will react the same way.
It all boils down to common sence, which seems to be hard found in alot of people these days.

Spot on the sooner people realize this the better off thier reps will be!

So yous are saying I shouldnt bother trying to handle my Jungle at all? Not even for 5mins a day?

touch a nervous snake with a hook/jigger and it will flinch, touch it with your hand and it will flinch 10 times worse. They can tell the differnce and they dont like it. Plain and simple.

I've noticed that from my own experience as well.

So yous are saying I shouldnt bother trying to handle my Jungle at all? Not even for 5mins a day?

Personally I only handle my snakes when I need to.

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
touch a nervous snake with a hook/jigger and it will flinch, touch it with your hand and it will flinch 10 times worse. They can tell the differnce and they dont like it. Plain and simple.

LOL

Is it true if your snake is moving around at night that its settled into its new enclosure or is he just trying to get out?

Im going to leave him for another day or so to let him calm down...but I Just checked on him and he came down from the branch and is resting against the front of the glass on the ground.

I probaly shouldnt have tried to get him out yesterday...was to early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back