Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just give it time. I only take my jungle out when I have to clean the enclosure. Otherwise, I let it decide when it wants to slither out and climb up my hands.

It took my jungle about 3 months to settle down. The last thing you want is for the poor snake to get stressed and stop eating. That's when the pain starts...

I just bought a tempreture reader as this morning was cold and I dont want him to freeze...whats the tempretures I should be aiming for to house my Jungle?

I went to buy a UV Light but the store hasnt got any and wont till the end of next week...at the moment he seems ok and he hasnt layed on the heat rock a whole lot.

Thanks for any help.

Around 30 at the hot end and down to around 26 at the cool end.

You don't need a UV light for a Jungle, and don't use heat rocks for snakes. You will need a heat lamp with a cage artound it connected to a thermostat.

Around 30 at the hot end and down to around 26 at the cool end.

You don't need a UV light for a Jungle, and don't use heat rocks for snakes. You will need a heat lamp with a cage artound it connected to a thermostat.

Its not a very large enclosure so its kinda hard to have a hot and cool spot with a major tempreture difference. I just put a heat lamp ontop of the enclosure so its only seperated by the mesh of the cage and also a metal plate that stops it burning the mesh, i set the thermostat to 28 degrees and the tempreture under the lamp is sitting around the 28 degrees mark..Ill take some pics soon.

28's not too bad. Where is the thermostat probe located? Should be around the middle of the tank.

28's not too bad. Where is the thermostat probe located? Should be around the middle of the tank.

Should I make it hotter then 28? Should mabye go to 30? Just want to make sure the thermostat is working ok.

Probe is located at the top at the moment so its not overly accurate, iam going to pull him out tonight and ill put the probe underneath the flooring right in the middle..that sound ok?

Mate that enclosure is more suited to geckos and frogs than
snakes , you are going to have trouble getting it heated suitably
to keep you snake in a comfortable state, and i would say that
is why your snake isnt settling in to well either.

Hmm ok Beeman, so is it just to small? Ive actually been in contact with a guy who im approaching tomorrow about a enclosure which is HEAPS bigger then this one. Or is it something else aswell besides the size?

The size isnt so much of a prob untill you snake grows a bit more,
its more along the linethat its nearly 100% glass and cant be heat controlled
as well as a timber enclosure as the heat escapes through the glass.
Your thermostat needs to be positioned roughly 4 to 6 inches from the floor and the thermometer at the same level to give an accurate temp level.
If you are considering another enclosure go for a timber one with glass doors!

Being all glass it will lose heat very quickly, and snakes like a lot of privacy to settle in, which is why the enclosure is not good for the snake, especially as I cannot see any hides in there for it.

The best type of enclosure I find is wooden with a glass front, as this will hold the heat better and give the snake more security. For now put some hides in, so he can hide away. Small cardboard boxes work well for this like the light bulb box you have sitting beside the tank, Just cut a small hole in it. One at the hot end and one at the cold end. Put some paper around the sides of the enclosure to give him more privacy. Maybe even put a smaller water container in for now, as this looks too big for the enclosure, which will affect humidity levels.

The thermostat probe should be on the back wall in the middle of the enclosure, not sitting outside on top of the enclosure and not under the floor. Set the thermostat to around 28, and that should get it up around 30 at the hot end and cooler at the other end. Put a thermometer at both ends to monitor the temperature gradient.

In brisbane JungleRob makes good enclosures, so have a look at his listings.

Glass enclosures are great IMO you just need to remember glass conducts heat quite well(this is an advantage IMO).
To heat that enclosure i would put a 40 watt(25 may even be enough) party light in and leave it on constantly except on hot days. Put a branch under it so the snake can get close. If at all possible you should try and provide a hide near the top of the enclsoure and also put some on the floor(cardboard boxes or hollow branches if you want a natural look). Using newspaper on the floor will also provide a good place for it to hide.

You should keep an eye on the temps especially on hot days. When room temps are getting upto around 30C you should turn heating off, regardless of whether you are using a thermostat or not.

I had some fake vines in there and when I first put him in he went behind them and stayed there for ages. I took them out when I had my first attempt to handle him and I havnt put my hand back in since I decided to let him settle.

Any ideas on how to put a hide up to...not sure how with glass sides...:?

Thanks for the help guys.

Ok today was a success...my cousin came around and he's had snakes for a fair while...he got him out with ease...my guy didnt even strike him...but once he was out he did have a strike at his face but didnt hit..

Then I finally handled him and was ok for awhile then my head went really light and I was about to pass out...ive fainted alot before so I know the feelings of when your about to faint so I sat down and handed the snake to my dad. "I was afraid of him I just hadnt eaten anything for along time come to think of it over 20hours and standing up didnt help."

But we put him in his plastic tub and got out a rat and soon as the rat was put infront of him he took it and wrapped around...he then let go after awhile and didnt eat it which we think was because there was about 5 people standing around looking at him...so we put him in my room and left him alone...went back in about 10mins later and he had finished the rat off.

Then just let him climb back into his enclosure and im now going to leave him alone for a couple of days before I handle him again...but Im not as afraid now as I went back to my cousins place who owns some 4 year old Carpets and I handled them and they were great.

But im looking forward to actually getting him out on my own and doing it all...:D Good day and im glad hes got some food in his belly been over a month.

You really have to "baby " your new snakes. Make sure they are kept warm with the right temperature gradient the right type of enclosure with lots of places for them to hide and fresh water. You can make hides out of little cardboard packets, flower pots etc. Don't try to handle the snake for at least a week, or even a fortnight. Even then just handle when you have to clean the enclosure.
You have to learn snake empathy. If you really just got a snake to play with, you shouldn't have got a snake.
Lets face it, they crawl up and down your arm and thats it. End of story. Boring. They dont play ball or roll over or sit or anything.
If you want it to calm down then don't let people crowd it, it just scares them. Keep researching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back