Beware Albino/ Hybrid buyers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
As I explained on another thread, I am keen to purchase some albino or hets darwins but wasn't sure of the law and how it stood in Queensland. No one was much help so I contacted the environmental protection agency and asked was it legal to buy/keep/sell albino's in QLD, as the code it stated that one couldn't knowlingly breed mutations/hybrids. But it didn't explain if you could keep them! (in the act it states that you cannot even keep sub species together in the same cage)
I explained that I wanted some hets/albino carpets not hybrids. (I detest hybrids and their breeders)
They asked was the animals coming from interstate. I said yes and they said they would phone me back.
When they did they said that they (the epa) had a meeting about albino /mutations last week in Brisbane and were very concerned but said yes, if I got them from interstate, I could keep them but could not breed/sell them, which at this stage is still unlawful.
I dont want them just to make money but would like to breed and sell a few babies if I wish.
Has anybody bought any albino's from anyone in QLD and if so were there any problems?
I am getting the same in writting from the epa and will post their letter.
BYW,This only applies to QLD
Cheers
Bwana

Last edited:
it must be legal, there are plenty of albino breeders in qld, why are they not getting busted and animals seized?

The ranger I spoke to said you could keep anything you obtain legally

that's cos on the paper work it only mentions the breed or kind of the snake(e.g. Darwin) and not it's color or genetic mutation........
Yeah i was thinking that.

Personally i wouldntve bothered ringing them lol they probably do little to enforce the laws regarding it anyways.

whats the big deal ? why are albinos bad to breed and sell ? i mean what aspect of it do the epa have problem with i dont understand

Hi,
If there in Qld and knowlingly breeding them then maybe they are.
However they may know of some law change that I dont know.
He may have bred them unknowingly.
I'll wait till I get the letter from epa.
If your in qld and want to get some it may be wise to contact the epa and find out if your able to breed and sell them.
Cheers

Thankyou kindly for the information Bwana,
I was concerned whether i could purchase them;
and breed them; if i so wished....well that answers that.
You may very well have just saved me a considerable fortune.
I'd be somewhat worried having spent the money;
only to have found out later that i couldn't breed them;
or worse still; chance having them taken from me....great :rolleyes:
I can well imagine; after reading this that there are a few very concerned keepers;
and rightly so....interesting indeed.
I wonder where they will draw the line on hybrids...mmmmmmm :?

Whether albino or normals they go on the movement advice as Darwins which is what they are. Albinism is a natural thing that periodical but rarely occurs in nature.........sometimes the law undoubtable needs addressing. Obviously the meeting with the EPA was not indepth enough.

So whats the go with patternless & albino Levis then.......this will eventually occur?

they cant do anything. the albinos were first found in the wild therefor it was a naturally occuring "mutation'. i think its a joke, i would happily buy and breed them in queensland, they want to take it to court go for it. unless they could prove it wasnt a natural mutation they couldnt do anything, thats like saying striped animals, hypos etc cant be kept and breed.
buy them and breed them!

Such oblivously non directly wild connected animals make it clear that reptile keeping can be separated from illigal trade. Mr EPA or whatever needs to have the paradigm explained.

hmmmm, funny how i've said this all the time, but always got told i was wrong, very interesting,

Hi,
Hey Tremainiac,
They are dead set against hybrids and rightly so.
The problem with the albino's is that in a rush to make money people are x'ing the albino darwin's with other carpets and diamonds to make hybrids.
Years ago when it wasn't easy to obtain a licence herpetologist often tried to justify keeping reptiles in captivity by stating that if reptiles started to disappear from the wild (canetoads, clearing, whatever) then these species could be replaced/supplemented by captive specimens. With all the rubbish that been bred (hybrids) these days, there is no way we could guarantee that we were releasing pure stock.
Albino's are are mutation. You do not need the epa or a licence to keep a native bird if it is a colour mutation as it has no relationship to the wild form. Now if we are allowed to breed colour mutations in reptiles then epa involvement or licence would not be needed just as in birds. They dont want it to happen and want to keep control.
Anyway I am not spending my money until I am positive that it's o.k.
Someone stated that I should not have rang the epa in the first place. Well I have a very delicate relationship with them and will not risk losing my animals or money from been lax. They are not obligated to tell you the law or any changes or ammendments to it. It is your duty to find out.
Ignorance is no excuse.
Cheers

Very true Bwana,
"lost control"...i believe they already have.
Regardless whether one agree's or disagree's
Hybrid's are very common these days....and in some cases openly bred.

Actually they are obliged to tell you the law in regards to the act that they govern as long as it is requested officially.
It can pay to have a copy of the act read it and remember though that the words used in it can mean several things at the same time. It comes down to the definition as set out in the front of the act. Any other word and meaning not found in the section on word definition can be argued and often quite successfully in court. Also in regards the QLD wildlife act, the magistrate’s rulings over rides the chief executive and can not be appealed, except on a point of law.

Please noone try and make sense of the EPA's advice on anything to do with licensing etc.. Their story changes from rep to rep.. 90% of them don't have a freakin clue and even more really couldnt' care less... If you ever call them and get an answer you don't like, call them back the next day and you'll generally get the answer you want.

In my opinion, a species is a species albino or not & thus albinism should not have any effect on licensing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back