BHP assist shed [Pic Heavy]

Discussion in 'Noteworthy Threads' started by Rob, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zulu

zulu Very Well-Known Member

A friend of mine did a similar thing with a young woma that had a shed that wouldnt budge,he uses less water with just wet paper towels and it works well ,useful post Rob n son.

2. Rob

Rob Super Moderator Staff Member

As Gruni has already mentioned, get it off now. It may come off in the next slough, but I'd be doing it myself just to be sure. I have seen snakes with the tip of the tail missing due to retained shed on the tip.

3. rvcasa

rvcasa Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I just wonder if I should try the water in tub, method or the pillow case?
    Just fed and don't want to stress for the next 2-3 days...

4. Rob

Leave him alone for the next few days. Just do it when you feel comfortable handling him. If it's just the tip, just dipping it some water for a bit may be all you need, or a damp cloth.

5. raycam01_au

raycam01_au Well-Known Member

thats Hell sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. rvcasa

rvcasa Well-Known Member

Thanks again.

I was just doing a clean up in garage and just found the old piece of slate I used to have in my Woma's enclosure...
    for some reason I'd removed it (perhaps for cleaning, before gone on short holidays) and forgot about it.:oops:

Poor bugger didn't have much to help him shed, this time!:shock:

7. Gruni

Gruni Very Well-Known Member

When you are ready just immerse the snake in a container. It was due to a tail tip that I did it with Skittles that time and I just got a largish container from the kitchen (didn't bother with air holes as there was plenty of air in there for the time it would take). Then I wet a face washer with the tea she had been soaking in, squeezed out the excess and firmly pulled the washer over her as she was slithering around on my other hand and arm. The tip slid straight off.

8. Rob

So it was Lucy's turn this morning.

Here she is before the soak

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here she is after about 20 minutes in the tub

[​IMG]

All done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gruni

Did you use the camomile this time? Gorgeous BHP to Rob, my daughter is most jealous. :)

10. Rob

No camomile. I did this when I woke up at 7:00am. What advantage do you think using that would have over just water that appears to be working fine ?

I like how they both look so different, yet they're both gorgeous IMO. FWIW, both were sold to me as WA locale.

11. Gruni

It is meant to be quite soothing for the snake for a start and I think it may penetrate quicker/more thoroughly when it is one of those really stubborn bands of retained shed that constricts the snakes belly. Not sure all I know is since he found out about it George won't do it any other way with the cranky/bitey 6ft carpet he has.

I was actually curious, if you did use it, whether it seemed to come off any easier than it already does when you do it your way.

12. Rob

I might give it a go next time. One thing I did notice was that peeling the skin off Lucifer (soaked for 80 minutes) was much easier than doing Lucy, who soaked for around 20 minutes. It all still came off, it was just a much slower process peeling it off.

13. Gruni

That might be it then Rob.

14. borntobnude

borntobnude Guest

Hi rob interesting thread ! in a good way , But i was wondering if you had any abraisive items in your snakes enclosure ie logs , rocks , lumpy hides etc . the reason for asking is that our BHP uses these items to scratch offf her old skin , it almost always is in one peice but has many rips along the way ,from her travels around the enclosure , which looks like an xmas tree with tinnsell : )

15. Rob

Yep, as I mentioned in the OP I've kept snakes for quite a while, so I'm pretty up to par on what is needed for their husbandry. They all have rocks, driftwood, suitable ornaments for rubbing against. My feeling is that this is a humidity issue, as it only affects my aspidites (woma + BHPs). My Diamond & Childreni are fine in the same conditions. I will look at closing the vents off a bit to hopefully increase the humidity, but for now my slough assistance seems to be working OK.

16. GabbyRAWR

GabbyRAWR Not so new Member

Beautiful snakes! One day when I move out and have anough room for a third enclosure I'm getting a BHP. They're just gorgeous! :)

17. Channaz

Channaz Guest

Great thread and beautiful BHP's!

18. happynagini

happynagini Active Member

i tried to do this and i used a 7watt reptile one heat matt and i couldnt heat the water ! :(

19. Rob

Mine is a 12w, it isn't so much about heating the water, but maintaining a consistent temp. I get my water to 28 degrees using a thermometer and the mat tends to hold that temp well.

If the ambient temps are warm-ish then it's probably not too much of a problem, but if the ambient temp is cold, the water will get cold pretty quick. Use an aquarium (probe) thermometer if you like, for peace of mind.

20. rvcasa

rvcasa Well-Known Member

Interesting cause being an arid/desert species, I didn't think they needed as much humidity (specially Womas) as others and therefore I've always kept it quite low, (except during shed period where I've misted my enclosure a tiny bit)

I also remember reading an article sometime ago about scale rot that scared me to bits, which also made be not go OTT w/ misting...

Do you happen to have snakes in different rooms of the house and therefore different humidity levels, ie reverse cycle etc?

P.S. - I forgot to mention, in the past I used an ice cream tub (as a hide) filled with sphagnum moss... I had cut a hole for snake to get in/out - but that's for Royals' not sure if it's too much for Womas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.