BHP assist shed [Pic Heavy]

Discussion in 'Noteworthy Threads' started by Rob, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Super Moderator Staff Member

No, the Diamond is in the same room with the aspidites. The Childreni is in a bedroom, but she is also in a click-clack which obviously makes her conditions somewhat different. When she sheds she tends to knock her water over too, which bumps the humidity right up for her (the water seeping over to the hot end). The woma actually sheds slightly better than the BHPs, but still nowhere near perfect.

2. rvcasa

rvcasa Well-Known Member

So it seems the tub and water spilled make a difference, no?

And the (moist) moss?
    Would it help? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Rob

I tried moss (not in with the snakes, but in an empty bank) and it dried out super quick ! Same thing with misting the enclosure - Dries almost instantly. The thing with the Childreni click-clack is that it only has air holes, not a great whopping big air vent !

4. rvcasa

rvcasa Well-Known Member

If you keep spraying the moss, it should not dry as quick.

...in my case, cause it was also inside an ice cream tub (w/ only a small hole for the snake hide), I believe the plastic may have helped keeping it moist/wet.

My concern is if it's too humid/wet for a Woma? But from memory it work well with a Royal.

Cheers. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Hamalicious

Hamalicious Well-Known Member

That is one awesome Black headed python. Definitely feeling the patterns on him. I had to do the same thing for my Black headed girl. I just chucked her in the bath for a while and it came straight off. She seemed to like the water as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  6. Justdragons

Justdragons Very Well-Known Member

im doing it now with my stimi.. turns out she has no idea the concept about not breathing under water.. she sneezed out heaps of water :/

7. Rob

LOL. Lucifer was fully submerging himself also, but had the sense to come to the surface for air. Lucy on the other hand, well she tried to get as much of herself on that tiny rock as she could.

8. thomasssss

thomasssss Very Well-Known Member

extremely off topic but you just reminded me of a friend in bali who has a pet spider monkey , one day it decided to jump in their pool , it started hitting the sides trying to find a way out but didn't surface for air , about 30 secs went past , still hadn't popped up for air , so they pulled it out and it took the biggest gasp for air , its since jumped back in numerous times and the same thing happens , guess it either cant surface its head or its to stupid to im not sure

9. Justdragons

Justdragons Very Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers for this thread mate, helped me alot. Doris is now happy and dead skin free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Snowman

Snowman Guest

I've camped in the Pilbara a few times and though the humidity during the day is low, my swag was covered in condensation every morning. Perhaps this is how they get enough moisture to have good sheds in the wild?

I've camped in the Pilbara a few times and though the humidity during the day is low, my swag was covered in condensation every morning. Perhaps this is how they get enough moisture to have good sheds in the wild?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess summer is the wet season up north too.

11. Stuart

Stuart Site Admin Staff Member

Thats some good advice mate and some great pics too!

12. rvcasa

rvcasa Well-Known Member

@Snowman, that sure makes sense! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Rob

Glad I was able to help. Reading comments like this makes my effort in starting this thread seem worthwhile.

14. Ezmay

Ezmay Active Member

awesome post... very helpful!! i need to do this but im so nervous :( do most snakes like water or is my little man gonna put up a fight?! oh well... guess im gonna have ta do it sooner rather than later huh?!

15. eddie123

eddie123 Well-Known Member

good post. This will help lots. Good work!

16. Stuart

Stuart Site Admin Staff Member

Bumping in light of recent threads

17. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber APS Veteran

Hi snake princess, good job. The best way to get unshed off a snake is to put it in a tub of water that is about as deep as the snake and put that tub on a heat mat and keep the water temp at around 28- 30 degrees. You can leave a snake like this for hrs, even overnight. After about three hrs you will find that the layers of unshed skin will literally fall off in your hands. You don't need ointments or towels or anything else, just set up a tub at the right temp (use a thermostat if you have to, put the probe under the tub on the heat mat). You can put a stick in if you want so they can rest their head out of the water to breathe, but even that is unneccessary as I find they just turn around and rest their heads on their backs. Job done in a few hrs rather then a few days, less stress, dry them off get them feeding!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.