BHP damaged scales - should i be worried?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamat

Reaction score
Hi all,

Reason for this post is that I've noticed quite a few damaged scales on both my male and female BHP's. This has only occurred since cooling, but that may just be coincidental.

I've not found any mites and it doesn't look like scale rot (and is only along the top of the head and for the first foot or so. Nothing on the scales underneath ).

My best guess is that it just scraping from burrowing, but They have always done that without any obvious damage to the scales.

Might it be that because they are cooling (and obviously not being fed) that they just aren't healing as quickly?

here's some pics of the damager scales.

3e6uza9a.jpg

he5uba9u.jpg

4e7eta3a.jpg

Hopefully someone can put me straight (and put me mind to rest) as these were stunning specimens prior to this.

Thanks.

The pink colour on the scales in the first pic doesn't look like a natural colour. Is there anything in the enclosure that has this same colour?
In order to help you solve this mystery, it would help if we could see the entire enclosure. Can you post pics of the interior furnishings?

in the second pic is that wire holding up the bamboo? if so the BHP could rub up against it to shed but at the same time has ripped up the scales and not the slough

Pink colour is residue from some nail polish (non toxic) that we used to identify them when we put them together for breeding.

Nothing new in the enclosures and this wasn't an issue before. The only thing that Has changed is their behaviour. They now seen to dig much more & find interesting ways to exit and enter their hides.

we've also observed them trying to wrap themselves around the globe cages, which might explain some of the damage.

my main concern is to rule out mites, rot or other conditions.

in the second pic is that wire holding up the bamboo? if so the BHP could rub up against it to shed but at the same time has ripped up the scales and not the slough
Yes, the bamboo is held together with wire, however has been in the enclosure since day one. Its not sharp and there are no "pointy ends".

They have not shed in a while, and none of these issues were present after their last shed.

I've been planning on replacing the bamboo backing anyway, so that will be the first thing to be replaced.

I'll also replace the hides with heavier ones so they cannot "lift" them to make their own exits.

id just make sure all equipment in the eclosure is all smooth or maybe look for those scales it would be like a needle in a hay stack.

id just make sure all equipment in the eclosure is all smooth or maybe look for those scales it would be like a needle in a hay stack.
The issue is nothing has changed in the enclose and this has just started in the last few weeks - since cooling. Prior to that, they were both exceptional specimens. Perhaps they were healing quickly or shedding more regularly prior, but now Cooled the process has slowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back