Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davobmx

Reaction score
I just received my Cat 4 licence upgrade here in the West so I have a few more keeping options now, I have been eyeing up a BHP since I got into reptiles but Captive bred hatchies are around the $1500 mark and seem to be in limited supply.
Womas are obviously a cheaper option and lovely animals but its the size that makes fall back to BHP.
I am a snake person but the popularity of ackies makes want to dip my feet in the water. I wouldn't mind a pair but I Have little experience with lizards and none at all with monitors.

Opinions ?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think you should get. If you want a black head, save up and buy one. There is no substitute for what you really want. It's hard(at least for me) to save up money. But who likes to compromise. Saving up the money will make you appreciate the snake that much more.

I have a woma and really want a bhp, and am currently researching ackies! How random lol. Let me know how you go :) I never knew bhp were that expensive.

I also count myself lucky for living in qld: a standard recreational wildlife license covers everything that I could possibly ever want.

I have a woma also im getting bhp soon i wouldnt mind getting a ackie to just need to fiqure out space after i make the enclosures for my pythons then ill see how much space maybe my room needs some herps :D

I just received my Cat 4 licence upgrade here in the West so I have a few more keeping options now, I have been eyeing up a BHP since I got into reptiles but Captive bred hatchies are around the $1500 mark and seem to be in limited supply.
Womas are obviously a cheaper option and lovely animals but its the size that makes fall back to BHP.
I am a snake person but the popularity of ackies makes want to dip my feet in the water. I wouldn't mind a pair but I Have little experience with lizards and none at all with monitors.

Opinions ?

do you have to buy it from WA or can you import as BHP for 1500 is a bit rich these days

do you have to buy it from WA or can you import as BHP for 1500 is a bit rich these days

WA cannot import reptiles... But they can export. Strangely enough... at the moment I am saving up (a long slow, painful process for me) so I can import some locale specific WA BHP (probably WC) and a pair of SWCP. Both of which are few and far between in the eastern states. Probably because of the higher prices plus the DEC fee for exports. Wild caught animals are also really expensive because of the high collection costs.

Davobmx have you considered dropping Pilbara pythons an email. The last I checked they sold hatchies for around $800- $1000. Even with freight that would work out cheaper.

Just IMHO I can't fathom for one minute the justification in price difference between a BHP and a Woma. I like both, can afford both but yep the price justification seems to escape me.

I started with BHP then got a woma and haven't looked back. They've taken over....lol
Smaller more manageable cage sizing and food cost then BHP and hatchling BHP are an absolute nightmare to get feeding (great once they start)
Womas eat anything and everything. Breeding is a breeze, they breed like they feed.... :)

All come down to personal choice, though the Axanthic BHP are impressive animals

I understand that BhP have captive breeding issues but less than a year ago I was told the same thing about womas and there now cheaper than most carpets it seems, and carpets are in an abundance.
The market is all over the place I think, obviously the demand controls pricing but at same time I think the demand is low because it seems to be so hard to find an animal or breeder that is outside pet shop chains and easy to communicate with.

What sort of Bhp are you looking at getting for $1500 ? I thought Pilbra pythons had quite reasonable prices for bhp's.

The prices of snakes are all to do with supply and demand. Obviously WA has a smaller reptile scene/market than the eastern states do, and the fact they can't import from other states means that snakes will always fetch much higher prices over there until they open up to importing from other states (which probably won't happen seeing the whole reason for a ban on imports is due to disease risk).
The reason womas are so much cheaper now is because they aren't any harder to breed than carpet pythons, whereas BHP's are more difficult and the hatchies can be a real pain to get feeding.

I have still seen bhp's for sale on pilbra pythons for as little as $800

Yeah, but that's still more expensive than what you'd pay for the same quality of snake over here. Also if you take a look at the $800 black-heads that are on there at the moment they are wild-caught animals (not that there's anything wrong with that), just no cost in breeding/raising them.

Last edited:
i own a pair of BHP'S, womas and ackies. i love them all, ackies are great to watch wen they are out and about especially at feed time. BHP's are big and beautiful, woma's are small but also just as beutiful. each one has its own unique beauty and character, so its har to choose one out of the three. but if you prefer the BHP then go for it as there is no point in getting an ackie or woma and then a few months down the track wishing you got the BHP.

I've got a BHP and a woma, and love them both. I'd probably want an ackie, too, except the new code of practice in NSW says I'd need an enclosure only slightly smaller than my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back