Big black cats ( panther) Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge bunny, but he's holding it pretty far in front of him to make it appear larger than it actually is. World record is 50lbs exactly I think. Some lady (in the UK?) has bred several of the world's biggest rabbits.

Yep good to see you noticed the old fishermans trick of holding them out from your body.
But my main point was that pets can grow bigger than some people realise .

Last edited:
I would be holding that away from my body as well ( especially the lower feet ha ha).

Yep good to see you noticed the old fishermans trick of holding them out from your body.
But my main point was that pets can grow bigger than some people realise .

Nah normal sized rabbit.The dude is a midget.

With so much area along the eastern side of the great dividing range declared catchment area and a vast amount of it has restricted or no access, therefore very little human traffic
I think it is very naieve to assume big cats don't exist in the wild...
Big cats don't get like that by being stupid, they probably see, hear and smell you long before you eye ball them, in a few instances they have been seen it seems like the cats were pre occupied in stalking their prey....
Wether any of them are panthers or not i am unsure, but i wouldn't be suprised there is a vast amount of un touched rugged bushland along the mountains..

Im from the sutherland shire and I was working at a place called Hilltop (im a landscaper) every weekday at 5:30 am I had to drive out there, I knew nothing about these 'big black cats' but one morning when I was driving this big black cat ran across the road and into some tall grass! I was honestly in shock, it had the sneakyness to its run like a cat but was huge, as soon as I got home I googled it and have been interested ever since... im not saying it wasnt a feral cat, but it definitely wasnt a dog and whatever it was it was bloody big and on the prowl!

Right next to the sydney catchment area near the southern highlands
Alot of undisturbed bush out there wher ethey can live there lives without human interaction....

this clown has seen quite alot of swamp wallabies take fright at human presence and bolt.

my swamp wallaby hypothesis (to account for sightings near sydney) is based an the incredible similarity in colour, shape and movement style, which when coupled with the low sight ability of humans at dusk or night, plus the surprise of a bolting animal seen for milleseconds makes it more a plausible hypothesis than there being a breeding population of "panthers" that have remained undetected.

seriously reptile people, have a look through your field guides, pretty much every pissant little skink, gecko or blindsnake in this vast land has been catalogued, and yet some of you believe a very large carnivorous mammal has avoided us?

Jack, really, how a swamp wallaby could look anything like a cat is beyond me.
As for panthers, use Google images to have a look at all the big cats, rounded ears,
then look at the smaller cat breeds, Golden cat, (quite large) Lynx and so on, pointed ears like the
cats seen in the bush.
Obviously the bush "panthers" are hybridized smaller cats.
Did you know the West Australian and Central Australian Aborigines claim cats predate white man?
Also, ancient mariners passed this way, thousands of years before Captain Cook.
Who knows what animals they left behind.
Have you actually been in bush areas that are thousands of square kilometers in size?
Anything could be in there without anyone knowing.
An animal can hear,smell you long before you know about them so it is easy for them to evade humans.

No, I disagree. With hard evidence I think you will find the opposite happens.

Incorrect! hard evidence makes no difference whatsoever, in my opinion, skeptics and tin-foil hat wearers are in the same boat but can`t see each other.
An open mind says "maybe it is true, maybe it isn`t, I will investigate"

i have never actually heard of a drop bear.. had to google it

Wikipedia says they are fictitious animal, but "drop bears" are the marsupial lion, the aboriginals were terrified of them and still believed they existed when white men came

Last edited:
Did you know the West Australian and Central Australian Aborigines claim cats predate white man?

Did you know that much of the centre and the more northern areas of our country didn't have white fellas setting up camp until the early 1900's? That leaves plenty of time for cats to colonise before the ballandas arrived in that part of the country.

Incorrect! hard evidence makes no difference whatsoever, in my opinion, skeptics and tin-foil hat wearers are in the same boat but can`t see each other.
An open mind says "maybe it is true, maybe it isn`t, I will investigate"

Incorrect? What do you say when the evidence points to something else? Do you still say 'oh it still might be what the tin foil hat wearers claim to be' or 'It's what the evidence points to it being'?

Did you know that much of the centre and the more northern areas of our country didn't have white fellas setting up camp until the early 1900's? That leaves plenty of time for cats to colonise before the ballandas arrived in that part of the country.

Incorrect? What do you say when the evidence points to something else? Do you still say 'oh it still might be what the tin foil hat wearers claim to be' or 'It's what the evidence points to it being'?

What I meant was; if hard evidence was for say, a panther, it stilll would be dis-believed.
all the evidence in the world isn`t going to convince somebody who doesn`t believe.
Anyway, there may well be courgars and other big cats around but I believe the majority of sightings are big solid felis catus and hybrids
The pointy ears says it all.
As a taxi driver, I talk to a lot of people and it is amazing how many people have sighted strange things in the bush.
There are only a couple of large black cat sightings from the Innisfail area but 2 people have said they have seen a thylacine but there are countless hairy man sightings.
One timbercutter came out of the Palmerston rainforest below Milla Milla shaken but refused to say what he seen and would never go back into the bush!

Refer to my hippo post. When the evidence is offered people will beleive.

What I meant was; if hard evidence was for say, a panther, it stilll would be dis-believed.
all the evidence in the world isn`t going to convince somebody who doesn`t believe.
Anyway, there may well be courgars and other big cats around but I believe the majority of sightings are big solid felis catus and hybrids
The pointy ears says it all.
As a taxi driver, I talk to a lot of people and it is amazing how many people have sighted strange things in the bush.
There are only a couple of large black cat sightings from the Innisfail area but 2 people have said they have seen a thylacine but there are countless hairy man sightings.
One timbercutter came out of the Palmerston rainforest below Milla Milla shaken but refused to say what he seen and would never go back into the bush!

They've evolved.

Attachments

• Monkey panther.jpg
    Monkey panther.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back