Big black cats ( panther) Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig , The original mountion lions were released as a male and female pair by the US forces at the end of 2nd world war . Their were US troops stationed here and these mointain lions were there mascots etc plus all the escaped big cats from the Lion safari etc combined to genetically inhance the the aussie panther into a illusive and superior killing machine , so that by now the prodgeny of these established panthers are moulded by evolution thus thriving here .
The excellant availability of prey in australian habitat also provides these magical mysterious creatures with the perfect enviroment to survive and thrive unhindered .

The end . lol
PS im taking the pisss... a joke etc

Last edited:
Do people realize that pumas/mountain lions/cougars aren't black? So Americans releasing them after world war 2 wouldn't do much to explain the black cats. I personally think it is clear that there are no big cats out there but whatever floats your boat.

Do people realize that pumas/mountain lions/cougars aren't black? So Americans releasing them after world war 2 wouldn't do much to explain the black cats. I personally think it is clear that there are no big cats out there but whatever floats your boat.

I personally don't understand why EVERY single reporting is of a pure black cat, if they are just evolved ferals then I don't understand why they all have to be black and not different colours...
We all know that the colour black is not the best colour for hunting or blending into the habitat of Australia, Evolution is a bit 'smarter' than that...(This is to say if they are just evolved ferals)

I can see what you mean about the presenter... I think he mislaid his tin-foil hat.

[EDIT] I also find it rather humorous that between episodes 4 and 6, where they had time to acquire their own leopard scat and send it in to the labs for testing, then get it back, that neither the woman presenting or the man being interviewed seemed to have changed their clothes. Are these the only clothes they own? Looks like a poorly constructed pile of conspiracy "scat", if you ask me.

Bizarre segue attempt. :)
If govt subcontractors cannot tell the difference
between canid and felid scats they have no right to attempt species id from scats.
Its that simple

So your saying the cat was over 3 foot tall and up to 5 foot long ?
Head was higher than your bonnet ?

The one shot in Victoria by Kurt Engel that had DNA testing done that was found to be a feral cat was quite large I'll try and find the exact measurement.

There's black pumas, cougars in the wild. They may or may not be in Australia but don't be to quick to rule it out based on colour.

Cheers for sharing, i never new about this.

Last edited:
Argh..the army mascot story comes from the same bloke whose 20' taipan/coastal intergrade kept lying next to him to size him up for lunch.

The one shot in Victoria by Kurt Engel that had DNA testing done that was found to be a feral cat was quite large I'll try and find the exact measurement.

There's black pumas, cougars in the wild. They may or may not be in Australia but don't be to quick to rule it out based on colour.

Cheers for sharing, i never new about this.

There has never been a photograph, one shot or one killed in the wild. I find it hard to believe there are any black pumas in the wild. Especially once you consider the amount of hunting that goes on in America. They were wiped clean from the north east of the United States altogether through hunting. Yet still not a single black one killed.

For all those who have pmed me that have asked about it wanting info and wanting to get involved in finding it, I'll get back to you asap i have things i have to do today thanks to my high maintenance gf. Cheers

Has no-one paid attention to the fact that a lioness was shot and killed in Broken Hill?

There has never been a photograph, one shot or one killed in the wild. I find it hard to believe there are any black pumas in the wild. Especially once you consider the amount of hunting that goes on in America. They were wiped clean from the north east of the United States altogether through hunting. Yet still not a single black one killed.

I just had a quick look at wiki mate I'm in a rush. and yes your correct on black pumas in wild. Black panther - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i find all of this very interesting i never knew about the hippo and had never even heard reports of big cats be them feral or not has everyone noticed in all the videos to they all appear to have rather pointy ears ive seen photos of panthers and they dont see to have very pointy ears

ive seen/shot feral cats first hand for years and there not all black. to be honest probably only 20% are black. there are plenty of orange and tan and grey ect, and they are alot larger then your domestic cats. some are any where from 1.2 to 1.7 meters long. but thats head to tail tip. when you think about it cats have been in aus for so many years now, the amount of ferals that have escaped over the years and been living and breeding in the bush its no wonder they have evolved to become so large to prey on our massive roos ect

in conclusion there is no such thing as panthers and cougars in Australia they are only evolutionised feral cats. get out into the bush and see for your self instead of going off all these pictures that you see on your computer screens.

i find all of this very interesting i never knew about the hippo and had never even heard reports of big cats be them feral or not has everyone noticed in all the videos to they all appear to have rather pointy ears ive seen photos of panthers and they dont see to have very pointy ears
But look at the body shape, looks like a big cat not a domestic cat.

But look at the body shape, looks like a big cat not a domestic cat.

Yes... a panther is not a domestic cat. What he's getting out is go and find some big feral cats. If you do you will see that they too do not look like your dometic cat.
Ever seen a dometic cat built like a staffy, I haven't but I have seen feral cats built like that.

From the report I posted on post #67

The heaviest feral cat (from Western Australia) on record at the Australian Museum weighed over 16 Kg.

Last edited:
thats nice dean30bb there may be no solid proof that there is no big cats here but do you have proof to say there isnt? apart from noone has caught one yet? if you didnt already know about the hippo story would you have believed it to be true or shunned it just like you are with this subject?

The heaviest feral cat (from Western Australia) on record at the Australian Museum weighed over 16 Kg

The "record" means nothing..it was an anecdote..repeated several times..which somehow became a "record".
The Australian Museum has no evidence of any large feral cat like this which would be the one of the largest recognised felis cattus examples in the world if it was true.
It is not credible that Museum staff would not record meticulously this sort of amazing discovery.
I am not saying there are not monster ferals out there..just no bodies on the table so far.

The "record" means nothing..it was an anecdote..repeated several times..which somehow became a "record".
The Australian Museum has no evidence of any large feral cat like this which would be the one of the largest recognised felis cattus examples in the world if it was true.
It is not credible that Museum staff would not record meticulously this sort of amazing discovery.
I am not saying there are not monster ferals out there..just no bodies on the table so far.

So let me try and understand this... the record is invalid, but your also saying there is the possibility of monster ferals out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back