Big Cats,thylacines And Yowies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt there are large cats around in most areas of Australia(double domestic size+) most of them would just be large feral cats but there have been escaped big cats in the past so quite possible there are more still around. Big small cats would thrive in many areas of Australia, i would imagine they could catch macropods fairly easy too.

There was a large black cat shot a few years ago and it was found to be a large feral cat after genetic analysis.

As for bunyips and yowies i really doubt such things would exist these days, but i wouldnt be supprised if human like species used to live here, many aboriginal tribes claim of the existance of such ppl.

There was one feral cat shot in western QLD that weighed in at 16kg, now thats a HHUUUGGGEEE cat. Having said that, there was actually video evidence of a pather/very large, very black, very feline looking thing down in Victoria or NSW, can't remember which. Quite good quality video, of this thing walking around on a hillside, out in the open in some sheep farmers paddock, was on TV (so it must be real, lol) on night a fair while back. Knowing what some of the 'private zoos' in this country have in stock, it really wouldnt amaze me if there was one or two getting around.

I saw a big black cat about a month back crossing the road at gross vale NSW (where there have been
over 30 sightings) on the way to work. Most sigthings are by farmers with sheep!

I couldn't say it was a panther, i jumped from the car and tried to follow it but i'm not as nimble as a cat hehehe!

It was big, jetblack and sleek. There were largish cat prints where it leapt from the side of the road into the bush. I couldn't get my mobile phone out quick enough to get a shot. Damn it took me 5 mins to calm down and thin rationally about what i saw. I never told anyone about it (except 2 members from this site) as there have been enough sightings without evidence. And it was near a local primary school.

No, wasnt night vision, was early morning I think. It could have been overseas, but I could swear it was aussie (could easily be wrong, though, lol)

Took a while but here it is

[video=youtube;RDlzXfZ9JDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDlzXfZ9JDU[/video]

Some people are tryin to pass it off as a panther, i recon it is some kind of marsupial.

walks like a cat to me

I thought that too, but the way it stands makes me think it is a dog. Don't get me wrong, I actually believe these animals are out there, but the one in that video was not one.

Ive read that some of the Tassie Tiger trapers back in the day who caught loads of them
rarely sighted a thylacine roaming free, really only seeing the animals they got in the traps!

So if sightings were so rare when large numberes of thylacines existed in Tassie.........

megalania isnt something you would want to find out herping in the aussie bush! lol

20ngoanna_wideweb__470x332,2.jpg

To be honest i like the mystery of them not being confirmed to still be around. Just hope someone doesn't shoot one to prove they are still around.

[video=youtube;xJctFeMmVfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJctFeMmVfM[/video]

Try this, its a few minutes, but check it out.

After Steve Irwin was killed by a stringray, a strange rumor circulated that he might have captured an elusive, supposedly extinct Thylacine on videotape during the making of the mentioned episode. But, for whatever reason, the blurry footage was never broadcast. Or was it? I assume we will all be able to know - one way or the other - after the episode is shown on August 31, for the first time since Steve Irwin died.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/irwin-2-07/

If a thylacine was actually found, I wouldn't be surprised if we never heard about it. Something that rare would have to be protected and yelling "LOOK, I FOUND ONE!!!!" is definitely not the way to protect it!

There was one feral cat shot in western QLD that weighed in at 16kg, now thats a HHUUUGGGEEE cat. Having said that, there was actually video evidence of a pather/very large, very black, very feline looking thing down in Victoria or NSW, can't remember which. Quite good quality video, of this thing walking around on a hillside, out in the open in some sheep farmers paddock, was on TV (so it must be real, lol) on night a fair while back. Knowing what some of the 'private zoos' in this country have in stock, it really wouldnt amaze me if there was one or two getting around.

I think I remember seeing what you are refering to rednut. There was two sequences of footage shot several days apart. We saw the first sequence first and I have to admit it did look like a large panther, and moved like one. The second sequence which was aired at a later date showed the same animal approaching a roo, with the size reference there it certainly wasn't large enough for an adult panther, and was more the size of a large feral cat.

Yeah, personally I think letting everyone know about it would simply ensure it became extinct. There was a case a while ago where what was believed to be a tassie tiger was shot by a property owner, who called the local parks and wildlife mob, only to have the carcass taken away for 'testing', after he recieved no contact from them for quite some time, he made a few calls, only to be told the animal was a feral cat and the carcass had been destroyed. The bloke is adamant the animal was no cat, and that it was infact a tassie tiger, and with him being a long time local who had shot his fair share of...well...everything....Im inclined to believe he knew what he was talking about. I think there may actually have been a second similiar incident, but cant remember the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back