Big Cats,thylacines And Yowies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was also wondering would it be possible for them to crossbreed with domestic cats or would the resulting animal be sterile like the tiger/lion cross ?

There have been a number of designer cats made by cross breeding with large species, i remember reading about some with cheetah blood in them being imported for the pet trade in Australia. Not sure it it would be likely to happen in the bush though :?

Any coppers here? Whats the name of the monthly or so, in house mail magazine that you guys get. The one with the photos of murder victims etc. In a copy of that mag 9 or ten yrs ago a lion had escaped from a circus or zoo and was shot by a local policeman. The lion was very old and close to death anyway but it was a good thing it was shot.
This obviously can happen as it was documented here in the mag I saw. Makes you wonder what could happen if it was a fully healthy lion/ panther that could run and escape.

I've also heard of a bloke who lived in Tassie (hermit) long ago. The story goes he had a tassie tiger that lived with him and he would always know when someone was coming because it would get up and go hide. Way before he heard or saw the visitors.I would love for them to still be around, but Tasmania has a reputation for white man killing off natives. What have we done to this world?

I cant see why panthers wouldnt survive in australia we have some of the best and hardest to explore country around and as for food how many marsupials do we have in australia,and the large amount of feral animals like deer which we have here on the east coast also goats, rabbits,pigs the list goes on.Was also wondering would it be possible for them to crossbreed with domestic cats or would the resulting animal be sterile like the tiger/lion cross ?

I agree and do believe in there existance in the bush of Australia but there seems to be little evidence of the remains of dead prey animals or the bodies of the panthers etc.

Having said that though i know a chap that used to walk his dogs up around the bush in the Blue Mountians area. His dogs suddenly froze one day and the hairs on there nape stood up and one of the dogs growled and sat down and let out a howling/whimpering sound (he said he had heard nothing like it before)and the other one lost control of its bowels as they rounded a corner. All over the track right in front of them was sme sort of bush fowl.As he was taking all this in he heard something take of through the bush that sounded bigger than his dogs when theydo it.
He and the dogs all ran off and when he got the balls to go back a few days everything was gone.

There are lots of Yowie stories... they were given a hair from one by a chick who said she used to live with them in the bush (possibly tried to reproduce with them i can't remember if thats the same Yowie story though) and sent it for testing and it came back as an unknown thing. was odd.

Wow...just read through all these posts.

I've never seen anything exciting but my sister has twice. Down near melbourne somewhere.

She saw a massive black cat bound across the road in two bounds.

Crescent Nail Tail Wallaby

Desert Bandicoot

Desert Rat Kangaroo

Eastern Hare Wallaby

Goulds Mouse

Long Tailed Hopping Mouse

Pig Footed Bandicoot

Toolache Wallaby

White Footed Rabbit Rat

Noone makes any mad claims about these critters, but they are all extinct. They just aren't as well known... I'm sure if the Pig footed bandicoot was better publicised, every 2nd grey nomad would have seen one crossing the road, just on dusk, somewhere between Adelaide and Alice Springs.

-H

Who would recognise those animals except for some experts?

With big cat hybrids only the females have been proved fertile and only obvioulsy only back to one of the parent species. The resulting 75% off spring so far have been in very poor health although some have reached adult hood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger

i believe it is all true. i dont see how mankind could wipe out the thylacine. its gotta be out there somewhere. as for yowies there just old people who havnt had a good shave and where kangaroo skin and pelts. some relatives of mine in between mudgee and wellington claim they have seen a yowie on the outskirts of the bush. they also have 'proof' of panthers in the same area. they have found there best stallions that stand 6.5ft tall with massive gashes on there necks that couldnt have been caused by anything other. they have had the most aggresive dogs go whimping off injured and found dead animals with no possible explanation other than panther/big cat.
anyone heard any recent stories of the gastric brooding frog or other frog sp.
well ill tell you why you havnt. people are only interested in big things that kill other big things...sheep and cows and people. peeps dont want to here about a measly frog or a little bird or a furry little marsupial that is the size of a $5 note. they want action and the possibility of there being something thats higher on the food chain than themselves. personally, i plan to get scientific proof of these birds and frogs and reptiles and small marsupials that havnt been seen for decades. just wait 10-20 yrs when im in my twenties/thirties and i find all these animals and you see my name in the newspaper or on tele.
they are there its just a matter of looking.
jmo and my knowledge and stories my relos and mum have told me
mattmc

Gastric brooding frogs are having a bit of a tough time with chytrid fungus atm, lol, and they ARE being looked for, believe me, there's been some pretty in depth studies of population crashes through time. Im not saying they're not out there, but they are being searched for, it just doesn't get publicised.
Just remember that chytrid fungus is highly transmissable, highly virulent and extremely efficient at wiping out populations that have never encountered it, so try not to spread it, clean everything, microwave your boots if you have to. But good luck. ;)

haha anyone heard the stories of the hairy men up in Quirindi?
apparently they wander the scrub and are cannibals who sneak up on your from behind, kill you, drag you deep into the scrub and eat you.....But first they have to get you out of the car ;).
i was with a few of the locals up there [cousins of my best mate] and we went driving about 3 am down the bush roads spotlighting roos and "accidently" waking up a small town :D and he told me the stories of the hairy men
anyway we were cruising down this dirt road which was all clear, nothing too exciting when we realised we were a bit too far out of town and kinda low on fuel so we turned back only to run over this mass roll of discarded wire which was definatly not there on the way through, it got caught up on the diff so we got out to get it out and me being the smart a** that i am said "dude....its a hairyman trap, he threw it on the road so we would stop and he could kill us!" then right on que something moved in the scrub and you should have seen his face hahaha was so funny he ripped the wire out and jumped into the car and we drove away as fast as possible
was a good laugh :D
but apparently there have been sightings of these "hairy men" who live out in the scrub so i guess it might be true??
:D:D:D

that footage is definatly a tassie tiger, you can even make out a stripped hind quarters. i was talking to my old man about this thread last night and he told me to tell every one that he will get conclusive evidents and never reveal the exact location.its just a matter of time.and he also said the last time he was there he saw what he thought was a pademelon which is supposibly not from that area.

At least 20/25 years ago around the Woronora Dam area in Sydney there was supposedly a yeti/bush beast sighted near the roadside crashing into the bush by two people test driving a car.. It was about 7 or 8 ft tall, quite hairy with a wallaby carcass under its arm. (but from the description this could be anyone from around the Helensburgh area ;) :) )
Don't know if it was true but it sparked quite an interest in this sort of stuff for me.

he saw what he thought was a pademelon which is supposibly not from that area.

Umm...... you mean like a Tasmanian Pademelon, abundant and widespread throughout Tasmania?

And for everyone who is convinced that we couldn't have possibly killed off all the thylacines...... I suggest you read up on the Passenger Pigeon. If we could do that, then thylacines would be easy.

:(

Hix

i believe tassie tigers are still here.
my grandfather saw the 'last' surviving one in the hobart zoo but years later found them to be alive still.
my friends mother is also the head of the hobart museum section that does all the work on thylacines and goes out to sightings and analyses photos and claims. she swears on her life they are still out there, just they cant make it to bigger deal as the bush would be torn up by people hunting them for zoos and proof of existance. just leave them be is my opinion but people will keep hunting until they are found.

yeh chytrid fungus is a major prob and has already "Wiped" out atleast a dozen sp of frog throughout australia. I would certainly like to no where it came from
Cheers
MATT

yeh chytrid fungus is a major prob and has already "Wiped" out atleast a dozen sp of frog throughout australia. I would certainly like to no where it came from
Cheers
MATT

Africa

Cheers
MATT

Pm'd, I'll let you make your on mind up on where it came from (and yes Im aware of the post above mine :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back