Big ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have our attempts at conservation excellerated the decline of our protected areas? Should we accept that captive coservation is the only option available? Should the majority of focus from conservationalists be captive conservation or should we still be striving to protect the areas in which these animals occur or just accept it doesn't work? Do win run the risk of people accepting the wild extinction of a species simply because we have it in captivity?

Hi Greg, could you please explain "below the point of ecological extinction" a little further, Im assuming it means that said animals are at a point where they can no longer bounce back because their ecological niche is so far degraded it's beyond restoration and extinction is just a matter of time.

Hi Steve1

Roughly speaking, "ecological extinction" is when a species falls so far below its natural population density and distribution that it no longer fulfills the ecological role that it evolved to do. In other words, its presence or absence in the environment is irrelevant at the ecological level.

Cheers

Have our attempts at conservation excellerated the decline of our protected areas? Should we accept that captive coservation is the only option available? Should the majority of focus from conservationalists be captive conservation or should we still be striving to protect the areas in which these animals occur or just accept it doesn't work? Do win run the risk of people accepting the wild extinction of a species simply because we have it in captivity?

Gosh Steve1

these are excellent question. Can you make it to the ASH meeting in Sydney?! It takes a bit too much space to deal with these on a forum.

GLM

LOL Unfortunately I can't make it, I'm in Perth but please don't feel obliged to answer. I allready have my opinions and was merely trying to stimulate further conversation on a subject I enjoy.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but, I watched this video again today fantastic is all I can say. Its a pity the powers that be don't have the same understanding of wildlife.

Last edited:
Sorry to drag up an old thread but, I watched this video again today fantastic is all I can say. Its a pity the powers that be don't have the same understanding of wildlife.

Things are getting underway. They can only go species at a time.

Wasnt there a turtle brought back from the brink? by captive breeding and release? margret river turtle maybe?

Yes there has been progress on the Oenpelli since that video. Hoping to go on the Oenpelli safari with Gavin, I can't do much but it may help a little.

Last edited:
Can someone link the video again please? The original one is coming up with a video about bullying for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back