Big issue with snakes in yard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

76drew76

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
A mate of mine is having real issues with juvenile Dugites coming into his yard. Just today he has had to take his dog to the vet after it was bitten by a Dugite. This is the third Dugite of this size in the last month and there has been 2 in 3 days. In total this makes for 7 snakes in the last 10 months, all Dugites. My question is, should we be looking for a nest? I would have thought that snakes of the same size would not be so close together. It just seems strange that all of these snakes have been about the same size, between 800mm and 1m and about 20mm diameter.
Any help you could give me would be great.
Cheers Andrew.

How clear and uncluttered is the yard? Snakes will move where they want however they feel more secure moving through areas with less activity and a few more places to hide.

While not a certainty, a yard with less clutter and more maintenance has less chance of snake activity from my limited experience. Size generally (except hatchys and I am hoping the more experienced will chime in) has no bearing on a "group" of snakes being nearby.

I did see on Foxtel, billy the exterminator use a concoction I believe was garlic and another common ingredient and spray a barrier. Apparently it irritates the snakes skin so they avoid it. If you can access the old episodes or alternatively contact Vexcon by email you might be able to get a reply with what they used. It's a bit of a long shot putting your faith in something seen on a Foxtel show but it definitely won't hurt to try. Alternatively if all else fails research making a funnel snake trap, just be sure to provide shade and check regularly. They are fairly easy to make and cheap and look just like a fish bait trap. I held off posting in case someone could give you some alternative help but it looks like you are in a bit of a jam risk wise. Hope this helps.

Hi,

First off Australian snakes don't nest and barrier sprays and ground vibrators don't work. Unfortunately Dugites are members of the brown snake group which are quite content to co-inhabit with humans. From what you describe it's highly probable that something is attracting them to his yard and this would more than likely be a food source, ie; frogs, lizards and/or rodents. Alternatively they may be travelling through his yard to access a neighbour's.

As suggested it is always a good idea to eliminate prospective shelter sites such as building materials, rocks, rubbish & junk from the yard (which by the way also provide shelter for frogs, lizards & rodents) and keep lawns short. They can also be attracted to aviaries where they find a food source in the mice that feed off spilt bird seed. Naturally things like fish ponds or water lying about will attract frogs.

Hope this helps.

George.

GBWHite would be right there is reason for the dugite to be there, food source and water accessibility is the key here, your mate will have to assess his property and give it tidy up to start with then he may have to snoop over fences and check his neighbours properties

As stated, the predators are chasing the prey.
At this time of the year all snakes are interested in is food. They have a month or two left to gorge before the cool weather and they are on the move trying to source food.
Many snakes are doing laps around houses because of the rodent scent trails and ending up in garages, workshops and houses at this time of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back