Big snakes in Aus?? i doubt it!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inny, burms don't get as big as retics or anacondas, but they get big ;) As to what limits their max size, is ultimately genetics. As with any animal! People from poorer backgrounds may be stunted, (have not reached their genetic potential) due to poor nutrition, sickness, etc... I know a guy who's identical twin is 6" taller than him, and physically 'superior', because of a sickness when he was a baby.
I have heard though, of snakes who've been fed sparingly for 6 years and stayed small, and then doubled their size in the space of a year as their feeding regime was increased.

Menagerie said:
We don't have pythons that can do that sort of damage in Australia do we?
There are rumours of feral retics and/or burmese in FNQLD but I'm fairly certain that they are not true. I certainly hope that they aren't true. Burmese have feral populations in Florida so they certainly can be considered invasive.

a feral population of the Burmese would not be fun.

I guess (excuse the STUPID question) what I am asking is... do our pythons constrict or get crazed by food scent?

My little brother was allowed to get a boa constricter while we lived in Fiji, but they moved back just before he was about to purchase it. This story sort of makes me glad that he didn't get it!

Pythons locate their prey using a number of sences, the most important being heat and smell. If you have been handling rodent ( or what ever the snake is used to eating) and wave your hand in front of the snake, it may mistake your hand for prey and act accordingly.

This is not a desirable thing to allow to happen.

Boa constricters are not a giant. I think what captures the attention is its cool name.

I know mine all get excited by the smell of rats but i have not handled them after the rats without having a good wash first .

do our pythons constrict or get crazed by food scent?

yes they do. As soo as a the rodent nears their cage they are straight out of their hides!

I don'y know about the other gals out there but there is something slightly off about this dude :shock: I have a really bad feeling as to how this particular relationship between man and his snake "Baby" is going to play out, particularly if all he is feeding it is a few chickens a week.
Regards Rina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back