Bitey Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby59

Reaction score
Hi got 5 snakes of a mate
2 are good to get out in but 3 very bitey snakes What can I do!!
Cheers

Depends.
Some will always be 'bitey'. If they are older snakes it will be more difficult to calm them down. If they are young, (18 months or less) you could get lucky through handling them but some species actually get worse as they get older.

As paul said i think with some they will always be bitey one hatchy i have is named Skitz Vicious, his top jaw actually curls up and makes him look a lot meaner once he perceives a threat . Ill try my best to calm him i have my doubts we'll see.

What kind of bitey? Do they latch onto you and wrap around? If so maybe they are hungry, and need to be fed more or larger prey.
Or is it a defensive bite, where they just bite and let go?
If it's the latter i'd say it's because they aren't used to being handled, also the stress of moving to a new location can do that too.
If they are new acquisitions, try letting them settle in for a couple weeks, with no handling.

As iguana pointed out could just be the stress of the move. How long have you had them?

@Yellowtail pretty much the same story as mine all the sibs are fine apart from the two either side of skitz in the rack, maybe he has an influence on them o_O

Is that a Darwin, Yellowtail? We had a Darwin het that as a hatchie held the record in our house for strikes. 17 strikes on me while my wife cleaned the click clack.

Is that a Darwin, Yellowtail? We had a Darwin het that as a hatchie held the record in our house for strikes. 17 strikes on me while my wife cleaned the click clack.

He's a Julatten Jungle, they are all quite aggressive straight out of the egg but quieten down once they know you are not going to eat them. Bitey did not calm down and got worse, he was impossible to feed and only interested in defensive biting. I finally got him to eat live fuzzies by leaving one in his tub and covering it so he had no distractions, gradually got him onto fresh killed then thawed but even after 7 months I have to sneak the mouse in, cover his tub and leave the room for half an hour so he is not distracted. He is a fine looker with a very nice partial stripe but can't sell him like that so looks like i'm stuck with him.
My Darwins (albino or het) are the opposite, very shy and quiet out of the egg and hard to get some of them to strike at food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back