Bitten by Marsh Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Damn, I was disappointed that my TLC isn't appreciated by this little fella. Was trying to help him with retained shed and he mouths my thumb and chewed. Less than a minute the bite area swelled, this morning half my hand and wrist is swollen and tender. This pic is my hand last night. You can't really see his fang punctures but the mark you can see was his bottom teeth.

This is a mildly venomous elapid, not considered dangerous. Also known as a Swamp Snake, easily recognised by two white stripes on their face. I have two in care atm after picking them up from local mail exchange. Just wanted to tidy them up a bit then release them when this blasted cold rain racks off.

Attachments

• P1130378.JPG
    P1130378.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 315
  • P1130385.JPG
    P1130385.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 341
  • P1130387.JPG
    P1130387.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 294
ungrateful buggers. hope the swelling drops down for you.

did you bother seeing a doctor or just going to let it do its thing and have a sore hand for a few days?

So ungrateful Kathy,they are cheeky little buggars,i had one here a month or two ago,gee they are aggressive little things,maybe just scared.No point releasing with all this wet weather around.Have fun.....

awsome lol that wasent an angry bit it was a thank you bite
we had some one trying to give us a licenced marsh snake for free but the partner changed there mind
hope your hand gets better

Ah Kathy, the thankless task of being so passionate! :)
Hope the hand improves rapidly for you!
Best,
Carolyn

We sell polycarbonate restraining tubes to help in this sort of situation, they are very useful for removing snakes from netting and other places where the head is free but the body is stuck, administering medication to the body, and they can also be used for identification of snakes as it allows a clear view of the snake without risking a bite, it is much safer than pinning.

Nah, no doctor. While I know he isn't dangerous I am happy to just let it run its course.

I'd say you are lucky...

Ive seen photos of what a so called Isn't dangerous marsh snake has done to someone after 20min....
not pretty..
just thank god it didnt happen..

Thanks guys! Haha, lovebite? Of course it was. Snakehandler thankyou for your response. I will definitely get a set from you, sometime soon (money always an issue for me). In meantime will just hand over the little vens to better equipped carers, at least until I do my course.

Sturdy - yes I did thank God for not causing me anymore grief. The swollen hand was all I got out of it. That has been enough to deal with :D so should consider myself lucky.

TheOnlyGoodSnake - I know you meant well with your comment, but there really is nothing cool about being bitten by a snake - even the less dangerous and non-venomous. Its good to see ppl share their experience but if I have come across as bragging, it certainly wasn't my intention. Bragging about python bites is a different matter, everybody loves showing off blood, but I was certainly amazed by such a tiny puncture bite that you can hardly see, blowing my hand up like it did. My hand has had no strength for the last two days, driving my car has been difficult, and at work today, working in the refrigeration at least I was able to prove to my boss that my hand was ligitimately lame. The coldness from the fridges reddened the area quite brightly. Least I know now, that I cannot expect the same courtesy from elapids as I get from my pythons & all elapids no matter how mild they are, need to be handled cautiously. It won't stop me going after more snakes, but just teach me to learn from it.

Carolyn I didn't know you was a member here. Good to see you. Your support with my patients was always appreciated on the other site. So good to see I can still find you if I need you :D

"There's nothing cool about it, that's why I'll take the excuse to brag! *big smilys*"

*nods head* Yer, your not thinking its cool to brag.

lol...yeah ok, maybe just a little brag.

4 days later the swelling has all gone but still have sensitive pain in back of my hand, wrist and thumb. I lost a lot of strength for a couple days - almost have it all back. Somethings - like spring loads - are still testing me but otherwise, back to normal. I have given the animals more baths since then but not playing like I was. Well, I wasn't playing. Was trying to help with retained skin.

Farewell little ones

We've had beautiful sunny days this week so thought it was time to send this pair on their way. I didn't get any nice photos of the one the bit me which was ashame as he is lovely and black in his fresh skin. But this is the other fellow - few marks and scars but nothing that appeared detrimental to his health. And I picked up that coke can. Didn't leave that there for something to get stuck in.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 105
Glad the hand is feeling better and that the snakes are now back where they belong ....wonders if you would have been as keen to help out if it had been an EB .......lol :)(joking Kath xx)

Eerrr! I would be keen to help an EB but don't think I'd be silly to free handle it like I did with these ones. :oops: I did do some homework beforehand and learnt the marshies weren't dangerous which kinda helped me let the barriers down. But I have learnt more since my bite, to know I should not have even free handled these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back