Black Blue tongue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
at the shows the hets (possible) were something like 750 each and thats a possible het! and they were like 66% chance...i reckon itbites has a good price estimate!

$1600-2000 for a juvie, if we're talking about super-hypermelanistic blueys that is.

yer this thing is almost straight black. and its only a little fella! It sounds like a real bargain seeing though they paid 90 bucks for him.

Sure it's not a shingleback or land mullet? If not he got a bargain alright.

Nar he or she is a blue tongue. They are really good friends with a guy that owns a pet shop been friends with him for 20 years. Anyway tom the bloke that owns the pet shop was given 2 of them from a guy that just loves blue tongues but he was moving over seas so he gave them to tom and my mates payed 90 bucks for the black one. Becuase how often do you see one of them come up! they are going to be soooo shocked when i tell them the actual price of him.

$1600-2000 for a juvie, if we're talking about super-hypermelanistic blueys that is.

how is that different from a melanistic blue-tongue. is it blacker than a black one?

In my mind hets should be referred to as hypermelanistic, and the homozygous form (the jet black ones) should be referred to as super-hypermelanistic. The gene is co-dominant and as we all know, co-dominant morphs have a super form which is displayed in homozygous animals. But melanistic, hypermelanistic, super-hypermelanistic... it's all the same really.

In my mind hets should be referred to as hypermelanistic, and the homozygous form (the jet black ones) should be referred to as super-hypermelanistic. The gene is co-dominant and as we all know, co-dominant morphs have a super form which is displayed in homozygous animals. But melanistic, hypermelanistic, super-hypermelanistic... it's all the same really.

Are they really condifident naming Hets just yet though? Surely they would be called 100% hets if it were that obvious?

They are hard, if not impossible, to tell apart as juvies as the melanin increases progressively over time. I'm sure Snake Ranch would prefer to move ther juvies on as quickly as possible hence they do not wish to hold them all back until such time when they can be identified as hets or non-hets. I think that's why they are still offering 66% hets, in fact i know this to be true.

Here's a pic of my het taken about 2 months ago. When i recieved it it looked like an ordinary bluey, as the weeks and months went by the melanin kept increasing and increasing. It is clear now that this lizard is a het, but it was in no way obvious when i first recieved it.

It was coming up for a shed when this pic was taken, hence the milky appearance.

HetBlack2-1.jpg

that pic makes me drool brendan. absolutely gorgeous they are.
mel :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back