Black Headed Monitor Outdoors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sp.michael

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if a black headed monitor could live outdoors in Sydney, with substituted hear from a couple heat lights, or would it be too much of a risk over winter?

Just wondering if a black headed monitor could live outdoors in Sydney, with substituted hear from a couple heat lights, or would it be too much of a risk over winter?
Should be fine especially with a bit of substitute heat. Do u know the locality of your tristis

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Should be fine especially with a bit of substitute heat. Do u know the locality of your tristis

No I don't own any at the moment, just a thought, would a more coastal locality be recommended? Would they eat other lizards if housed together?

Monitors from southern areas of their range should be able to cope with cold winters, although I don't really know what the Sydney climate is like. They would most certainly eat other lizards if they could fit them in their mouths. Lizards are one of their main food sources in the wild.

It can be done yes. Its probably better to raise them indoors till they get some size on them first. Its easier to monitor them this way and act on issues that come up. You have toconsider things like tristis's talent to escape almost anything, how would you recover them easily and quickly if the need arises, and protection from the more extreme elements. Ive done the semi outside thing with quite a few medium monitors there is some pros and cons to it. Pros being cheaper, more natural light etc. But cons Ive experienced are 'tame' med sized monitors do become more reserved, its hard to keep tabs on individuals in groups, and recovery of individuals can be pretty difficult (just ask the ppl wanting to get some things from me). Give it a go if your confident in your setup, you probably wouldnt need to supplement heat. Be wary that mixing species and individuals of different sizes with tristis can be disaster.

Thank you everyone for the replies, definitely given me a few more things to consider. Was planning to have a bit of a mixed setup, although these guys sound a bit too big and aggressive to house them with anything else.

I had 3 similar sized yearling tristis housed together in a good size enclosure with plenty of hides and branches. Plenty of food. They were a bit young to sex accurately but to the best of my knowledge 2f 1m. I got home and found one of them gasping for air. At closer inspection after forcing its mouth open i proceeded to pull the tail of another tristis out, swallowed whole i got the dead one out eventually. Ive also had a 2yo male in with a presumed yearling female and he was alot bigger, however the yearling female turned out to be a male but they seemed fine together. They are seperated now because i think it would only be asking for trouble. I agree with bushfire in saying be careful with tristis. And ive been considering asking bushfire out to dinner ( but i think he would see right through me before we even finished our soup ) I'm one of them people trying to get a reptile from him :)

401c22de10aa4aa4d63dda4c74a594cf.jpg
eed463470b116639ae7b2cbcb2556f79.jpg
64e36cff89f2b6d2a013e73cb19995db.jpg
e12f73df9dbafe3f3ac6b3f791ae6da0.jpg

Theae are my latest projects 2 walking outdoor enclosures for my yellow spotted and black headed monitors.. lots to go in and around it yet.. but you get the jist [emoji6].. also sorry ASP its been awhile [emoji177]

add me on instagram murph_BTK

Progress shot *just for you stompie [emoji6]... still quite a bit to do.. then finish painting it.. sort out logs branches and other hides.. can't wait for it to be done.. oh wait then i have the 2nd to complete... [emoji38]
633274caded3c6f26535180c5dcc0859.jpg
7f897b0d82d4580da2c4ec7356c3cd9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Looks awesome dude. I wish our Autumn/Winter weather allowed for that kinda setup.

Is it going to be raised like that permanently?
For the sides, clear Perspex would work to hold the sand in.

Is it going to be raised like that permanently?
For the sides, clear Perspex would work to hold the sand in.
Yeah Piney off the ground so the toads wont affect them and the perspex is a good idea... [emoji108]..

An update on the 2nd enclosure.. got some grass down now.. have a few more branches and hollow logs to sort out.. positions and adding greenery.. then she should be sweet..
4c25361ba2bfd104186730ae07c8168a.jpg

Last edited:
An update on the 2nd enclosure.. got some grass down now.. have a fre more branches and hollow logs to sort out.. positions and adding greenery.. then she should be sweet..
4c25361ba2bfd104186730ae07c8168a.jpg

Looking really good. What locale of tristis are u keeping in there ? And i would probably use shade cloth on the bottom to allow good drainage. It just depends on the visual aspect.

Looking really good. What locale of tristis are u keeping in there ? And i would probably use shade cloth on the bottom to allow good drainage. It just depends on the visual aspect.

She from the perth region.. and i plan on putting sand in there and yeah some sort of netting i dont want water sitting where it shouldn't..shade cloth is a great idea..and appreciate the kind words [emoji108]

Woops edit: black headed monitor and in the other is my yellow spotted monitor..

She from the perth region.. and i plan on putting sand in there and yeah some sort of netting i dont want water sitting where it shouldn't..shade cloth is a great idea..and appreciate the kind words [emoji108]

Woops edit: black headed monitor and in the other is my yellow spotted monitor..

Nice is she a perth hills black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back