black lights for use in boyds enclosures?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mic772

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Black lights for use on Boyds and other reptiles. what i know is that they are exelent in putting out high amounts of uv and this may be dangerous to a reptile as well as a human if exposed to it for long periods and especialy Boyds that are from a low light habitats. What do you experts out there have to say?

black lights only produce UVA not UVB aswell, and most Except for high end SB MVB lights do not produce any UV rays past 12" so thats not of a worry at all unless your in that proximity, and boyds from my understanding dont really require much UVB ie: compared to beardies,as they spend most of there time hiding on tree's in rainforest folage but i personaly wouldnt deny any of my reps UVB/UVA exposure at all they can access it in the wild so should be able to access it in captivity IMO

if its NEC T10 that is different i should of stated that sorry thanks Geckoman for pointing that out just found the technical data on it here has a very large UVA output and moderately UVB, but the best source you can get is mega-ray but since there all hand made its sooooooo slow no other UV bulb can even come remotely close to there product, but the downfall is the cant supply and demand is terrible my 60 wat externally ballast kit has bein on order for 4months now still no sign of it being ready within the next few months either so it makes it unreliable altough with the UV meters people are getting 18months out of 1 bulb most bulbs throw away after 6months

it was not specified what type of black light except you can pick it up from bunnings so i would have to say that it would not have been an NEC 10.
you have brought up some good points as to the penertrating depth of normal reptile lights and since my enclosure is 1200ml deep i may have to go for an nec 10 to get good uv penertration but i'll leave this thread open for more comments. thank you.

the one form bunnings would i be correct to say it was the nelson coil?if so they are totalyy useless stick with the NEC 10 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back