Black Melamine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In post #32 Laura wrote that it's common sense not to use it in enclosures.Since you agree with me that it is ok then you too have no common sense according to her.

Popcorn anyone? :D

Seriously though guys, how is anyone supposed to learn from reading this thread if we go around in circles?

Bottom line there are two options:

1) play it safe and don't take the risk

or

2) determine the risk minimal enough and use whatever silicone you want.

Why would you use white sealer on black melamine. From what i have heard and been told its not safe to use any sealer with mold resistance so why would you take the risk on your animals health for something a little cheaper.

I've read on the internet that its not safe either, but I've also read that if I wanna put a stick or branch in my enclosure I have to scrub it with bleach and then put it in the oven lol.

Its hard to know whats right and what isn't but if these blokes have been doing it for years with no problems then it makes me wonder if there is any safety issues or if its just paranoia.

I've read on the internet that its not safe either, but I've also read that if I wanna put a stick or branch in my enclosure I have to scrub it with bleach and then put it in the oven lol.

Its hard to know whats right and what isn't but if these blokes have been doing it for years with no problems then it makes me wonder if there is any safety issues or if its just paranoia.
The big difference with this case is that the information about it being harmful was not just read on the internet it was found on an MSDS which holds a lot more credit than an internet forum, with that being said if someone has been there and done that without seeing and harmful effects in the short term or long term then you also have to take that into consideration. I would also keep in mind that just because something does not kill your reptile doesn't mean it is the best thing for your snake. Sometimes a bit of logic combined with common sense and coupled with experience is the best way to approach decision making with regard to your reptile.

I just use aquarium silicone. It's just a bead around the edges to seal it all. I think even if it was toxic there wouldn't be enough to harm any of my reptiles. Haven't had any problems since 2009. I also used the cheap white bunnings melamine. It's made by laminex in Perth Bunnings. It's not moisture resistant, but I've sealed the joins well with silicone and the laminate seems to hold moisture out of the particle board so far.
I've left a piece outside and I've seen how it swells and disintegrates with moisture though. It doesn't look like it will have any problems with my enclosures yet though.

I know it's not overly relevant but this statement has me very confused. Please elaborate? :)
The white melamine at bunnings in perth has laminex group stickers on it. Laminex make a lot of melamine products.

Does it just say not suitable for aquariums on the msds? I just had a look on the selleys website it just says not suitable for aquariums or potable water containers. Also it says it releases some chemical while curing but I doubt it would release any chemical after it is cured and its designed for warm humid environments so I doubt they would make something thats going to release chemicals while you're having a warm shower.

Anyway those msds things are a bit over the top sometimes but I understand your point.

the scribe is just a small blade that cuts just through the laminate on the bottom side of the board means no chips and it would be on a panel saw so it would be alot quicker and easier to cut it on but not every one has a panel saw if you want just go to a kitchen place and tell them the sizes you want but if your not worried about chips use a straight edge and circular saw get a blade with more teeth means less chips and use masking tape might help out on the chips a little more as well

Does it just say not suitable for aquariums on the msds? I just had a look on the selleys website it just says not suitable for aquariums or potable water containers. Also it says it releases some chemical while curing but I doubt it would release any chemical after it is cured and its designed for warm humid environments so I doubt they would make something thats going to release chemicals while you're having a warm shower.

Anyway those msds things are a bit over the top sometimes but I understand your point.
This is an extract of the MSDS that Lawra was quoting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 7.36.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 7.36.31 PM.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 62
the scribe is just a small blade that cuts just through the laminate on the bottom side of the board means no chips and it would be on a panel saw so it would be alot quicker and easier to cut it on but not every one has a panel saw if you want just go to a kitchen place and tell them the sizes you want but if your not worried about chips use a straight edge and circular saw get a blade with more teeth means less chips and use masking tape might help out on the chips a little more as well

Thank you for your reply. I've read through all the conjecture and I think I'm going to stick with melamine (cheaper then form ply, $21 compared to $66 ) and use aquarium safe clear silicone. I'm sure that will be Fine. Can anyone see a problem with that combo?

Thank you for your reply. I've read through all the conjecture and I think I'm going to stick with melamine (cheaper then form ply, $21 compared to $66 ) and use aquarium safe clear silicone. I'm sure that will be Fine. Can anyone see a problem with that combo?

It will be fine. Just make sure you seal the hell out of the joins so it could almost hold water ;)
I cut the silicon nozzle down a bit for a wider stream/bead of silicon. As a sparky (maybe ex sparky) we use spit on our fingers to smooth it into the right angle, but a damp sponge would probably do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back