Black Rock Scorpion Care Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoTookMyShoe

Reaction score
So recently i have been looking into getting a black rock scorpion. I have done all the research and already have the enclosure set up. However, here lies my problem.

Black rock scorpions eat roughly once a week. If i was to go and buy a tub cricket with like 20 crickets in it, the crickets would all die in a couple of weeks. Therefore, only letting me use 2 or 3 of the crickets out of all of the rest.

My question is, is it ok to feed black rock scorpions dead crickets and if so, how long dead? Should i store them in the fridge when dead or what?

Thanks!

Hey mate, If you are only having one scorpion I wouldn't worry too much about crickets, you could probably catch a moth on a light outside once a week to feed it.

Otherwise, wood roaches can live for much longer and mealworms tend to keep reproducing in their container. These can be fed using forceps.

Hey mate, If you are only having one scorpion I wouldn't worry too much about crickets, you could probably catch a moth on a light outside once a week to feed it.

Otherwise, wood roaches can live for much longer and mealworms tend to keep reproducing in their container. These can be fed using forceps.
Thanks mate!
So is it 'generally' better to feed them live food or is it 'necessary'?

You'll generally find they will only eat live prey. If you leave a dead insect in with them they'll ignore it.

As Tyloop says, if you just have one you can probably just go catch an insect once per week or so. It'll probably be quicker than a trip to the shop anyway. Alternatively, start a colony of feed insects. Woodies are really easy. When I was keeping a lot of insectivorous lizards, frogs and inverts I generally used woodies for everything. Mealworms are also really easy, and scorpions usually take them pretty readily.

Have fun :)

You'll generally find they will only eat live prey. If you leave a dead insect in with them they'll ignore it.

As Tyloop says, if you just have one you can probably just go catch an insect once per week or so. It'll probably be quicker than a trip to the shop anyway. Alternatively, start a colony of feed insects. Woodies are really easy. When I was keeping a lot of insectivorous lizards, frogs and inverts I generally used woodies for everything. Mealworms are also really easy, and scorpions usually take them pretty readily.

Have fun :)
Great information, Thanks Heaps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back