bleeding belly on spotted???????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coatesy

Reaction score
Hi all after a bit of advice. Thought my spotted was going for a shed, however when i got her out today i found that she had a brownish gooie feel to the scales on her belly. The skin was flaking off and after removing it she was stickey to touch and had a bit of a smell to it. She also hasnt eaten for about two months, ( I thought that would just be hybernation though).

Any help on possible cause would be great...

hear is a couple of pics

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 161
Straight to the vet mate, most likely caused by wet or soiled substrate, or temps too low over Winter. Betadine will help, as will antibiotics from the vet. Temps need to be raised to a constant 30-34 degrees and the cage needs to be kept spotless and dry - all of these things will be much easier to achieve if the snake is moved into a click clack for a while.

be interesting to know what it is ..........hope you can find out soon and get it sorted ............

thanks for that, have her out in a clic clac with heat mat and put bedadine on. will take to the vet to get checked out

Take your photos with you too as now you've used betadine the skin's appearance will have changed but those photos should give your vet a pretty good indication.

So we took her to the vet and he thinks it may be a burn. He is a little unsure as he didn't see it we cleaned her up (before the photos were taken) He has given us some cream for her and told us to bathe her in a diltuted betadine and fully dry twice a day. We will see how she goes.

was he a rep vet? your common cat/dog vet wont really know whats going on with the snakes as they dont understand their specific keeping requirements (as a general rule) it looks like scale rot to me, when the skin between the scales becomes enflamed from infection as said by others from damp/unsanitary substrate.

It was a reptile vet actually mentioned on this site. We had to drive 2 hours to get there.

It looks like scale rot that was most likely caused by low temps/dirty substrate (as MrBredli said), or possibly a burn if it spends a lot of time on a hotrock.

She has just started to shed now - just the tip of her head. Hopefully all goes well. I have been soaking her daily and applying the cream. Will see how she looks after her shed and if another trip to the vet is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back