Blue tongue essential supplies + questions & queries

Discussion in 'Australian Lizards and Monitors' started by bugbug, Mar 7, 2018.

1. bugbug

bugbug New Member

Hey! I'm considering getting myself a blue tongue skink but there's so much conflicting info on care! I had a baby one as a kid (until my mum let him go) & the care seemed so much simpler back then (although I guess I wasn't quite old enough to do my own research).
    I'm not sure on some of the supplies I need
    #1 do I need a heat mat AND heat lamp? or will just one be sufficient? I live an hour south of sydney if the climate makes any difference. If I need both, how many watts?
    #2 what kind of uvb globe do I need? any brands you would warn against?
    #3 Is this enclosure (largest size) acceptable? Keeping animals on wood kinda weirds me out for some reason
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REPTILE...var=441473809883&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

thanks!

2. Reg casey

Reg casey Not so new Member

Hey mate i just got a blue tongue myself i did alot of asking around so as far as i know u have a uv 5.0 globe or u can have a tube... heat bulb or heat mat one or the other not both as it will need one side to go to be cooled down... i made my enclosure out of ply and perspex holds heat really well... my setup is a 5.0 uv globe and a 50 watt red globe for heat and i have an eco tech timer/thermostat to control times and temp..substrate i have the coconut husk stuff 2 hidings a log and 2 plants along with a water and food dish
    --- Automatic Post Merged, May 15, 2018, Original Post Date: May 15, 2018 ---
    My enclosure is 900mm wide by 600mm high by 450mm deep... it is good enough for a juvenile for now but i will eventually go wider and not as high... 1200 by 450 by 600 would be alot better if u can get that

3. azzmilan

azzmilan Not so new Member

1. Go heat lamp, heat mats are very inconsistent and can lead to accidental injuries with your animals. Aim to get one basking side of your enclosure to at least 32c . This will dictate what heat lamp you need by the placement of your heat lamp ( as directed on packaging)

2. UVB 5.0 is ideal. I have never had any problems with different brands so I can't answer that.

3. Long term your enclosure should be as big as you can provide and considering the monster sizes some of these guys can reach , around 3 foot would be good.

I am not sure what conflicting information you may be seeing as most of the blue tongue caresheet information I have seen seems to be quite consistent , with perhaps only one or two tidbits of information.

Sounds like you really need a guidance to help you and I would highly recommend Keeping Blue Tongue Lizards by Grant Turner as it's very simplistic and accessible as well as gives you a general basis of all information and you really can't go wrong.