Blue tongue licencing question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconboy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hope you are all having a great Christmas.

Just a quicky - even though its not specified, does NSW licencing allow one to keep a subspecies of a type of bluey? ie, a common bluey being Tiliqua scincoides, does this allow one to keep a Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Northern) or does it need to specifically state 'scincoides intermedia' as a subspecies on the list to allow it? Its odd that Northerns aren't on the NPWS list seperately anywhere that I can see.

Thanks

re Blue

I dont think they care whether its tiliqua scincoides scincoides or scincoides intermedia much the same as eastern waterdragons and gippsl;ands are under the one,they sometimes choose not to recognise subspecies,at least thats the way it was.

Further on this question, I've pretty much decided to get a couple of these, but wondering what exactly I put on the import application for common and scientific names?

Thinking 'Northern Blue Tongue' and 'Tiliqua scincoides intermedia' might not go smoothly since technically its not listed on the keepers list seperately, however 'Blue Tongue' and 'Tiliqua scincoides' is just a common blue tongue and they may not approve import for them. What about I go half way and use 'Blue Tongue' and 'Tiliqua scincoides intermedia', or is Northern Blue Tongue going to be ok?

Has anyone else imported these and how did you do it?

Thanks.

Sub species are recognised

The current hard copy lists do not show all sub species as it would be a much longer list and hence a little more daunting for a lot of keepers. The new licensing database does allow the recording of subspecies and all of them have codes. In the past there has been some concerns about adequate identification of sub species by keepers but as these become more beded down in the hobby (eg Morelia sp.) we are able to support the recording of the animals to sub species level.

It is worth noting that you should be SURE that the animals that you have are the sub species (or species for that matter) that you beleive that they are before updating your records (and ours). There are a lot of Animal keeper record books out there with records that show animals recorded as subspecies unknown only latter to be allocated sub species when "better infomation" comes to hand and then to another subspecies when "better infromation" is again available. I would suggest that it is best to record the animal as the base code (2580 in the cases of T.scincoides) if the sub species is not know with confidence. If you are certain that you have (or are buying) animals of a specific sub species, record the full species name in the FRB and we can update the records on submission of the I/E application or FRB.

There have been a lot of threads on this site about locality animals and "look alikes", my advice is that the use of sub species descriptions should be applied ONLY when the ID is certain.

Finally the full species list is based on the National census of vertebrate species and the NSW wildlife atlas. if your sub species is on these lists, chances are its supported by the new database.

Try the following link as a starting point http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/abrs/online-resources/fauna/cavs/index.html

cheers

Straight from the horses mouth. Thanks very much DEC. :D

Goes to show you never know who is watching. Lucky I didn't ask a question about my off licence Green Tree Pythons I smuggled in from Asia. :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back