Blue tongue question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahmino

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question regarding my sons blue tongue. He has a hollowed our part on his back just before his tail. He is still active and his behavior hasn’t changed so I’m not sure what it could be? Also is it normal for them to seem to have poor eye sight? He can walk straight past the bugs my son gives him? Any answers would be great! Thank you

pictures are nice to have an idea of what a "hollow" part is. is there a hole in his back?

Temperatures? what does he eat? whats his set up? etc

Pictures please (click "upload a file")

I cant seem to get a photo to upload. It says the photo is too large for the server.

He kind of has a lumpy wonky looking lower back and tail if you look at him from the side.
His temp has been around 18-20 over the winter. My son feeds him meal worms, dog food, and fruits and veggies.

You have to reduce the size of the pic,a problem I have had.I use Photo & Picture Resizer available in app store.
Could be Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) caused by lack of calcium but we need pics to confirm it

I do wonder if he gets enough calcium. But whenever we put the calcium powder on his food he just won't eat it. Ill try fixing up photo
[doublepost=1538896674,1538896075][/doublepost]I cant seem to get the photo to reduce enough. If it is MBD what things can we do to help him out?

Calcium should be sprinkled on food like salt or pepper not heavily and no more than every second day
[doublepost=1538896944,1538896701][/doublepost]Does he have a UV light? If not get him outside in natural sunlight a couple of times a week.
Does he get snails in his diet? tinned dog food isn't a great replacement as it has lots of preservatives.
You could try giving him pinky or fuzzy mice as whole of creature gives them a much better diet.

My son is taking him outside a lot more now it's warming up. The enclosure is too small to have a heat light in it. It gets really hot, like 40+ when the heat globe is on. We have been waiting to get a bigger enclosure. He isn't full grown yet. I was a bit worried to give him snails because I have heard they might have diseases. We will organise a larger enclosure where he can have a uv light on. If it is MBD has the damage been done? or can he get better?

MBD can't be reversed but if it is early stage it might be reduced.
Snails aren't a problem if they come from your garden and you use no poison. To be absolutely sure isolate some snails into a tub with bricks or some other hide spots and dirt to lay eggs and feed them lettuce etc for 2 weeks,if they don't die they are safe.Use rain water not tap water.

Last edited:
Oh I feel awful if he has it. Hopefully we have caught it soon enough. And we will make sure we get his new enclosure sorted. And we will hunt for some snails as well. Thank you so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back