Blue-tongue sleeping in the rain

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scalygirl

Reaction score
Hi Folks -

my first post here... : )

We have a Centralian Blue-tongue (cleverly named "Stripe") who is having a rather strange time this year in Perth. The weather today (in the middle of winter) is relatively warm; probably about 21 or 22 degrees outside with wild squalls and really heavy patchy rain. Stripey lives outside and for the last five years he has regularly gone into uninterrupted Brumation for four or five months each winter - in a shoebox indoors when he was little, but outside for the last two years. But this year he has been waking because it seems so warm and has been walking around slowly, and commonly getting caught out by the extreme rain-storms. He just shuts his eyes and waits it out, fully exposed. But he has plenty of cover in his large court-yard and seems to be unfazed by the water. Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour? If I move him into cover he just comes out again and the same thing happens.

Hoping to hear that this is simply what any tough old lizard would do in the wild.

Good to be part of this forum now - someone to ask!

Scalygirl

Dunno bout your lizard but I love standing/lying in the rain : )
Pretty sure animals like a refreshing wash tho.

I had one float (cant call it swimming with those little legs!) past me in Depot Creek one wet season. They're waterproof and dont do much they dont want to. Fear not!

He just shuts his eyes and waits it out, fully exposed. But he has plenty of cover in his large court-yard and seems to be unfazed by the water. Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour? If I move him into cover he just comes out again and the same thing happens.Scalygirl

We are in Victoria...One of our Blue Tongues (they are kept outdoors) did not hibernate this winter (of all winters!) Just yesterday we moved him to under one of the many shelters (out of the rain) they can use, and he came back out shortly after! He is absolutely cold to touch or hold, but does not seemed phased by being exposed to the elements. :shock:

Hi Guys,

My advice would be to watch your bluies closely, particularly if there is a sudden cold snap.

Shingleback, and bluies have an annoying habit of sleeping in the wet and cold; these conditions can bring on respiratory infections.

Also in the worst case scenarios, they can be downright stupid lizards.
I have had a number of cases over the years where they continue to sleep in the rain into the night, and in a few cases have lost them to exposure.

If I suspect they may be doing this after a bout of warm weather, I will often do an evening check to make sure they have all gone back to their beds at the end of the day.

One thing I have found to be very helpful though is if you can give them a sunny spot that is under the cover of some clear corrugated plastic. This gives them the chance to enjoy the sun, and still stay dry.

A north facing aspect is the best way I have found to discourage this, and provide some dry bedding under the plastic cover.

Another way you could discourage this would be to provide a heat lamp on a timer that comes on toward the end of the day to encourage them back under cover.

hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks folks -

good to hear that this is not unusual behavior. A sudden drop in temp is what has been worrying me, or even hail (which can be very sudden here and come without warning) I'll try the plastic trick, Mike; I'd been toying with a similar idea.

Tonight he's gone to sleep with his head under a leaf - he seems to consider that sufficient cover. Dopey!

Thanks for your responses

Scalygirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back