Blue Tongue Uvb !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What species of blue tongue is it?

If it is the eastern sub of the common blue tongue then 5% uv is good but if it is the northern sub, central blue tongue or the western then 10% is what you would need.
Although if you are still unsure then just do 10% anyway.
+ you can always take them outside! :D

5% is fine if it's an eastern. Infact some say it isn't necessary at all but I would go a 5% just because it's good for them. but yes 10% wouldn't hurt.

when i had mine i just made sure they had outside time every day for some natural sun :) i didnt have uv of any kind only heat.

Thanks, For every one helps. I can't really take them out . As i have school. But I should be able to take them out on the weekend,

the jury is still out if blue tongue skinks need uvb, even my lacie which is 6 years old has never had uvb. The key to keeping lizards is feeding the correct diet, the only species I have found to need uvb is dragons. if you are wanting to breed your blue tongues I have found keeping them outside is best.

You do need UVA/UVB for blue-tounges.
Just because the animal doesnt look unhealthy to the naked eye doesnt mean it isnt in tip top shape or that it wont develope problems in the future.
Provide it with as much as you can and pretty much nothing can go wrong.

I've seen many blue tounges in captivity with MBD (Metabolic bone disease) from a lack of UVA/UVB.....
Diet for blue tounges does not change the other natural recources they require, and why would you risk something horrible and irreversible like a massive bump in its back?

The only reptiles that I could 100% say dont need UVA/UVB are snakes and even I give that to mine.
Monitors needing UVA/UVB is still debatable but as far as I'm concerned all lizards need UV... except perhaps a few criptic species, like burrow-dwelling pygopodids.

I prefer the long flouro tubes over the CFL because it gives coverage over a bigger area (I only use CFL in my hatchie tubs) and I also think nearly all reptiles require UV except maybe the nocturnal or underground species but surely they get some UV anyway as I don't see how you can possibly get UV from diet alone even if you get all the nutrients.Anyway back to the OP,5 UVB for blueys should be Okay for most varieties

Okay thanks for the help every one. I decided i'm going to order an 10% uv lighting, Reptile full spectrum, Uva,Uvb bulb. 13 watt[h=1][/h]

Would Reptile Mercury Vapor Bulb 100watt R125 e27 Uva/Uvb. Would this be better for a Bearded Dragon/ Blue Tongue Skink? Does it have Full Uva/Uvb and heating ?

We have found that a lot of Blue Tongues do not like 10.0 globes and they generally hate MVB. They always seem to have their eyes closed when they sit under them. We would recommend sticking to a 5.0

get a 5.0 or a 10.0 uvb tube and have it directly above the skink. UBV can't get through glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back