blue tongues and snails...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spidsy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I try to avoid using snail pellets as we have blue tongues hanging around the yard but there has been quite an increase in snails and slugs lately so I am thinking of an alternative to get rid of them.

i have here a 'snail and slug trap'
basically a plastic container that u put into the ground and half fill it with beer.

I cant see how this would affect any blue tongues but I could be wrong.

to finish off here is a short, sad story...

when I was young there was a blue tongue in my backyard.
the thing is I had never seen a lizard this big in my life.
it went marching through the backyard and into the yard over the back that happened to have 2 dogs in it.
the lizard didnt last long. :cry:
I just read that they are able to get to about 60cm in total length. is this true?
cause this lizard would have to have been about that size.
not sure how a lizard could get that big in a suburban area with dogs and cats around.

The build up in snail numbers is probably due to the fact that the Blue-tongues would be in Brumation now.
Any non-poisonous method of snail control is the way to go. The method you suggested would be ideal and safe for Bluies.

Alternatively, if you know anyone who keeps blueys, get them to come round and collect the snails as a food source. The beer trap works well and is completely safe for wildlife, it's just a waste of beer :( :cry:

Give them to me :lol: :lol:
Since I got my bluies (5 years ago) I have completly wiped out the snail population in my back yard.
:twisted:

thanks for the replies.

Letting someone with bluies take them would be a good idea.
but not just at the moment as snail pellets have been used recently.

I just plan on keeping the numbers down a bit so i will give this trap a go.
apparently i can use soapy water or salt. so who knows, i might save the beer for you Magpie.

Just a related comment for those who do feed their blueys snails: Good idea to keep the snails for a wekk or so before feeding them off to make sure they are clean of baits. Friend of mine lost a bluey from not doing this. Also, snails are quite likely to carry parasites that reptiles are susceptible to so you need to watch your blueys for paraite problems. :)

Yea Magpie,
I was told to keep them in a container, with lettuce for at least a week to clear their parasites away. I don't know how effective this is but it's worked so far.

I have tried the beer trick with the snails and it works great however it attracts another feral species: Under-age kids
I was wondering why the beer kept disapearing so quickly, I didn't think it could evaporate that fast then I started to see the local kids hanging around waiting for me to fill up the bucket :lol: :shock: :lol:

i have read somewhere that if you feed bluies snails the bluies should be wormed every year as snails can apparently transmit worms

Magpie said :
Also, snails are quite likely to carry parasites that reptiles are susceptible to so you need to watch your blueys for paraite problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back