blue tounge lizard breeding

Discussion in 'Australian Lizards and Monitors' started by Rickdejong, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Jay84

Jay84 Very Well-Known Member

Just a question..... are their progeny fertile? or sterile mules?

2. Chrisreptile

Chrisreptile Very Well-Known Member

Does this mean that in QLD, a person cannot breed Albino Darwin Carpet Pythons?
    As Albinisn is a genetic mutation, do these guys fall under the category mutation?

3. peterjohnson64

peterjohnson64 Very Well-Known Member

Sorry but IMHO putting two different species of blueys together in a pit is just like putting a coastal and a diamond together in an aviary. They WILL breed. Therefore it is intentional. If however, you think it isn't and then they do then maybe that first time it wasn't. But from then on it is.

And if they do cross breed please make sure that you stress what they are when selling them. The are not Eastern Blue Tongues and they are not Blotched Blue Tongues. They are hybrids.

4. princessparrot

princessparrot Very Well-Known Member

I have two shinglebacks and an eastern blue tongue living together and the male has been going for the female for a few years now but she's shown no interest and now I think he's moved to my bluetongue cos they've been showing interest and sexual/mating behaviour towards each other... Not sure what will have or if it will work out but anyway....:rolleyes:

5. KingsReptiles

KingsReptiles Active Member

to answer your original question, yes. Tiliqua species can interbreed, mainly the most common crossbreeds in captivity is Eastern x Blotched, ive heard of Eastern x Shingleback, and other crossbreeds could probably be done, personally i prefer pure bred animals, and in some states it is illegal to crossbreed, NSW and VIC allow it, not sure about other states

6. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

I very much doubt that this has any credibility.

7. kankryb

kankryb Active Member

Scincoides x rugosa do interbreed
    nigrolutea x rugosa do interbreed
    it has been note by Longley (1941,1944) and mertens(1950)and others. Here in Denmark, 10 years ago, someone had fertile offspring form aspera x chimaerea so All tiliqua can breed if you put them together

8. kankryb

kankryb Active Member

I just had a look in a aussie book, A guide to Australian skinks in captivity by Dr. Danny Brown and on page 179 he has a bit on hybridisation in the wild and captivity

9. KingsReptiles

KingsReptiles Active Member

Oh ok then

10. Kruz.S

Kruz.S New Member

Hi I am thinking about breeding some blue tongues and was wondering if you could give me some tips and can blue tongues be differant ages to breed or not
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Jan 19, 2018, Original Post Date: Jan 19, 2018 ---
    Hi all will blue tongues breed if they are differant ages

11. Scutellatus

Scutellatus Well-Known Member

Yes Blue Tongues will breed at different ages, as long as they are sexually mature.