Bluetongue "Cross-Breeding"?

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by AllThingsReptile, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllThingsReptile

AllThingsReptile Very Well-Known Member

Did a bit of searching and didn't really find that much, so my first question is:
    Anybody on here owned or seen, cross bred blue tongues (wether or not it actually is cross breeding is debatable i guess), for example an EasternXCentral, CentralXNorthern etc.?
    Either wild "intergrades" or captive bred?

My second question, is why does the DEPI (vic) list of wildlife you may keep under Basic licence, not include Northern Blueys? obviously Easterns are off licence, Centrals and Westerns are listed but no Northens?
    I'm asking this as i bought a Kimberley Bluey at the VHS expo, off licence..and I'm a bit confused about wether i should have needed one or not now :/

2. stimsoni09

stimsoni09 Not so new Member

I just looked on AROD and there doesn't seem to be northern bluetongues only western Pygmy centralian blotched and common

3. AllThingsReptile

Northern Blue Tongue (Tiliqua scincoides intermedia)
    Largest of the bluetongues, and IMO they are the nicest coloured as [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]well [/FONT]

4. stimsoni09

stimsoni09 Not so new Member

Thanks learn something new every day : )

5. AllThingsReptile

no worries! :)

6. RoryBreaker

RoryBreaker Well-Known Member

Some F2 Kimberley northern( T.s.intermedia) x albino eastern( T.s.scincoides) by a well known breeder.
    [​IMG]

Nt northern x eastern that was for sale at the 2012 VHS expo
    [​IMG]

In many of the reference books you can find examples of other crosses , both man made and naturally occurring. For the complete reference book to answer all your questions I would suggest you buy
    Blue-Tongued Skinks Contributions to Tiliqua and Cyclodomorphus
    http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/newbook2.jpg
    it is not a cheap book to buy but it's the 'Barker and Barker' of the Blue tongue skink world.

Cheers

7. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Eastern cross normal - same species , different subspecies.
    Eastern cross central - different species.

You would have to check the exact details in your state but if the species is listed as off license then I would guess that it applies to all of the subspecies unless specifically stated.

Hence you could buy it off license.

8. eipper

eipper Very Well-Known Member APS Veteran

There are eastern x blotched (I have found them in the wild), eastern x shingleback, blotched cross shingleback. Within subspecies northern x easterns are common

9. AllThingsReptile

[MENTION=25115]RoryBreaker[/MENTION] any bookshops that sell it or would i have to order it online? and i think saw that 2nd one at the 2012 expo, might have even taken a pic of it from memory!
    [MENTION=9894]butters[/MENTION] Easterns are listed as off licence, but centrals and westerns are on licence, there is no mention of Northerns
    [MENTION=7935]eipper[/MENTION] any pics?? BlueyXShingle would be interesting! I'm guessing they'd be like a blue tongue build with larger scales?

10. RoryBreaker

RoryBreaker Well-Known Member

Any of this site's recommended book sellers should be able to acquire that book for you. Google "Blue Tongue Skink bible" and all links will point you in the direction of that book.

On YouTube there is a vid of an Egernia cunninghami cross T.s.scincoides. The link for it was once put up on here a few years ago.

11. HerpBooks

HerpBooks Not so new Member

12. eipper

eipper Very Well-Known Member APS Veteran

The hybrid blue shingle pics are in the book mentioned. I photographed the scincoides nigroluta hybrid and the shot is in Danny' skink book I think

13. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Northern aren't mentioned because they are still classed as being the same species as Easterns.

Northerns are classed as a separate subspecies but not, a separate species. I think where you are getting confused is in thinking that Northerns are a different species to Easterns, they aren't. At least not yet anyway.

If the Victorian schedules lists them at species level then you should be able to keep any of the subspecies off license unless specifically noted.

14. AllThingsReptile

okay thanks, will do!, an yeh i came across that video when i was searching, pretty cool looking!
    Because they are completely diff species, would the lizards have actually mated or would the female have been inseminated by the owner?
    [MENTION=35027]HerpBooks[/MENTION] thanks i will have a look now
    [MENTION=7935]eipper[/MENTION] looks like i will definitely be getting this book!, sounds like it will be a good read!
    [MENTION=9894]butters[/MENTION] ah thanks for clearing that up, makes a lot more sense!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.