Bluetongue feeding frequency

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of reading regarding juvie blueys and how often to feed. Many have said daily feeding until 12 months of age.

My thoughts are this is too often, i have been feeding every day for my month olds, and only small portions, but they continually search for more food after i take their dish away, even trying to eat bark afterwards. They are certainly putting on some weight so i'm not feeding too little, they are probably just little pigs.

The upside i spose is since they are eating every morning they are not fighting, just happily basking most the day.

What are your thoughts?

Most reptiles are opportunistic feeders - meaning if you put food out daily it will surely be eaten
whether they need it or not, also they naturally forage. I would let a few crickets go in their tank and make them work for their food
Just my thoughts only
Cheers
Sandee :)

Tried that sandee, unfortunately the first time seemed to just stress them and one kept biting tails and feet. Since then they have not interest in crickets. i do make them walk around the yard to find their food but.

i feed my 3 bluies every day 3 days a week they get small snails and cat food and the rest fruits and veggies and they are stacking on the weight i was advised to feed them every day then once they get to adult size only 1 or 2 times per week

it's interesting the different advice you get. I was told to feed my baby bluies every 2nd day, then drop back to 3-4 day feedings as they mature. I'm feeding them every second day and i find wiht my girls that if they're not hungry the dont eat (i tried feeding them daily for a while, but some days they just wouldnt touch the food). But they are putting on weight and are happy and healthy.

We feed our blue tounges every day, and we have no probs with them as they
regulate thier own intake.
They are housed in outdoor pits and reproduce every year

We feed our blue tounges every day, and we have no probs with them as they
regulate thier own intake.
They are housed in outdoor pits and reproduce every year

Thats what ours do to but we have shinglebacks

We keep our shingle backs in the out door pits as well and they have the same feeding programe
as the blue tounges

Mine get fed every day (except when I'm a bit lazy), either crix or veges, nearly as much as they will eat in one sitting. 3 out of my 4 are becoming porkers at only about 4 mths, the other is ok, so I might need to change a bit. I feed in a separate tub to make them work for their crickets.

Mine are the same falconboy, only the one that was looking good (ie not a tubby tongue) got attacked by the other three the other day. Even feeding where it could see the others but they couldn't get to him, it would eat half as much, now in a new enclosure away from the others he licks the bowl clean. Just a warning to keep an eye on it if your keeping them together.

Yes, my 4 are all together and I have never seen any signs of agro so far thankfully. Maybe this is because live food or veges they are always fed outside their tub. Veges they are fed 2 at a time off the one dish, then swap for the other 2, live food they are each put in an individual tub with crix running loose for them to chase.

The only thing I need to watch out for is limbs being mistaken for food when the pairs are eating, but it does not seem to be aggression related.

I find that the bluies walk in there food bowl and get the smell of the food on them so the other bluies smell the bluie that has walked in the food bowl and bit it because they think it is food. (That is what i think hay i might be wrong). I feed my baby bluies once a day and find them to eat if they want if they are not wanting to eat they will not eat. I keep 5 baby bluies together and they are all fine and don't bit each other at all because they are not hungry. With my adults i feed them every 2 days and i have no problems.

I feed mine daily hoping that they would be full and less likely to attack each other, didn't work :(

You are spot on bluie, if any of my blueys have a bit of food stuck to them within seconds of taking the food bowls out they are onto eachother, usually they have a lick but recently i have seen some biting of the head.

I was hoping they were going to play nice until after their first winter then seperate them and put them outside. Mine were all really good together until the other day, and the attack on the individual was a bit of a surprise. Felt so sorry for the little fella, scales missing and blood all over his tail:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back