blueys outside

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by dale1988, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale1988

dale1988 Well-Known Member

i have been thinkign about getting into blue tounges lately and was just wanting to find out some info apparently they stink when you keep them inside so obviously the alternative is to keep them outside now not everyone has the room readily available outside there home for a big pit or people like me who rent cant exactly just go installing a pit a friend said i could just use a guinea pig enclosure as long as it had a place for them to hide and get shade and a place for sun and thin bar spacing would this be true and would you need to still bring them in at night and winter?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

my understanding is they will only smell bad if your husbandry is poor, if you look after them and the enclosures well they should not smell, so indoor can still be an option.

you could use something like an aviary as long as you ensure nothing can get in\out of the gaps in it ensure there is good drainage for rain\sprinklers etc, ensure no poisons\pesticides are use near\around them and an area for them to hide and cool down out of the sun.

3. dale1988

i kind of liked the idea of the guinea pig hutch though as can move it around with ease alot less mess to clean being on the grass to lol are blueys the type to burrow?

4. shea_and_ruby

shea_and_ruby Well-Known Member

we had ours inside and she didn't smell at all. we had her in a cage that hubby built and she started getting little sores either side of her face: she was attempting to push her way through the wire (without much luck). he has now built a pit and she seems rather happy with herself. it only took hubby a day to knock it up - used some corigated iron sheeting and what not. it will be able to be pulled apart and taken with us when we move.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

a hutch could work just use a wire mesh on the bottom, this will allow the natural grass\earth be the floor but stop anything getting out. my only worry with being on the grass is ensuring you don't use anything toxic in the garden

6. Trouble

Trouble Very Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of moving my bluies outside, not because they smell (as previously said, they wont smell unless your husbandry is bad) but because I'm wanting more snakes and I need the enclosures :lol:
    I am looking at the colourbond veggie gardens you can buy from Bunnings - they look sturdy, and they look high enough the bluies wont be able to climb out of. Since bluies do like to burrow, I'd be putting bark in there for them :) and they look removable, so when I do finally move outta home, I can take it with me :D

7. dale1988

hmmm well i might just let them stay inside i only thought of going outside with them a for the obvious saving of electricity and b i was tyold thery stink while indoors but if thats not the case i may just put them inside

8. ricky_91

ricky_91 Active Member

just get a garden bed from bunting dig a trench and put it in with a bird net over the top

9. dale1988

I rent mate otherwise I wouldn't have a backyard it would just be walkways around pits lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.