Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I have to agree with you there, I have had the opportunity to handle a big boa from st lucia island in the carribean and you have to have a mutual respect with the animal due to its shear size and temprement (st lucia boas tend to be big and cranky!).

One thing I do not agree with is the laws from keeping these animals.... yes I understand the concerns with diseases etc, but I have spoken to a couple of people that "illegally keep them & its a fact that over 90% of these animals have been bred in this country from animals that have been here for many generations, simply due to the penalties of getting caught smuggling animals in.

Surely there must be a way to legally keep these exotics? Perhaps another level of licencing like the endangered/venomous native category that we already have.
Even if it cost a bit more to fund the policing of keepers and how/where the animal is obtained, and even a veterinary check with costs charged to the buyer/seller

I know this reply will ruffle some feathers but too bad, we all have the right to an opinion, its no different to keeping exotic birds, cats, dogs etc
cheers kenny

Heres the major flaw in this argument. All environmental departments nation wide are already extremely underfunded and the government certainly won't give them a bigger budget for something like this.
And I'm ok with that.

Yes I won't argue there, it would have to fund itself but if you knew how many "exotic" collectors were out there it would shock you.
I have seen some awsome collections out there in normal suberbia, and most of the keepers would have been more than happy to jump through the hoops to legalise they're hobby.
If it was monitored and developed by national parks along with the assistance of experienced volunteers it could be done and would lower the number of badly run black market crooks.
Just food for thought, we don't all see it the same but we all have a soft spot for reptiles, does it really matter what part of the globe it came from?

Yes I won't argue there, it would have to fund itself but if you knew how many "exotic" collectors were out there it would shock you.
I have seen some awsome collections out there in normal suberbia, and most of the keepers would have been more than happy to jump through the hoops to legalise they're hobby.
If it was monitored and developed by national parks along with the assistance of experienced volunteers it could be done and would lower the number of badly run black market crooks.
Just food for thought, we don't all see it the same but we all have a soft spot for reptiles, does it really matter what part of the globe it came from?

Sounds harsh but for me, it does.

- - - Updated - - -

It's like the wipe-off 5 commercials. It's all about consistently hammering out the untruths often & enough to get the vast majority to consume it.

Are you suggesting lowering your speed by 5kph WON'T reduce the severity of an impact or the distance required to stop?
Do you have any comprehension of physics?

Folks from Geelong aren't generally considered that bright anyway

So people from Geelong aren't generally considered bright by people making a sweeping generalisation? How ironic.

Last edited:
So people from Geelong aren't generally considered bright by people making a sweeping generalisation? How ironic.

Yeah, but it's ok, people from Geelong don't really understand the words 'sweeping generalization'.
And look up irony in the dictionary, a sweeping generalization can be true.

I love boa constrictors but I'd rather go to wildlife parks or zoos to see them in this country. Hopefully that fine will make this person think twice before making that mistake again.

Yeah, but it's ok, people from Geelong don't really understand the words 'sweeping generalization'.

Yes generalisations can be true, but you made the positive claim therefore you have to prove it. Got anything credible to offer?

Last edited:

I'm sure lots of them know generalisation doesnt have a z in it :)

I'm sure lots of them know generalisation doesnt have a z in it :)

Exactly, the z is American spelling. Oops! :D

I completely agree, but according to autocorrect and spellcheck on this website it does. So take it up with the website builder not me :p

Yes generalisations can be true, but you made the positive claim therefore you have to prove it. Got anything credible to offer?

Take a trip to Geelong some time...

Oh this is fun.

Last edited:
Have been to Geelong many times but I don't know why you insist this is important.
Should I be seeing Boa's, Retics & Burms in the street??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back