Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekai

Reaction score
I noticed a bobtail of mine had a problem with its scales. One scale was cracked and it looked like the majority of the inside of the scale had rotted. When I rubbed it, the enamel on the scale flaked off. The scales around this scale also look damaged, especially around cracks between scales. They are less glossy and have an onionskin erosion pattern. I don't think this is the residue of a molt, because I know what shed skin looks like, and there is a bit of it around the lizard's nostrils for comparison, and it looks different.
The lizard is as energetic as lazy lizards get. I think it is some sort of infection, but it hasn't changed the behavior of the lizard, so I don't think that it is too serious. Also, likely caught it early.
Here are some links to the photo I took. The forum won't let me embed them either as a file or a link [Mod Note: You need to use BBCode under Embed Codes at IBB]

20181126-130616.jpg

20181126-130558.jpg

20181126-130526.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? How should I best treat it?
Also, this is my first time using this forum. I'm not really sure how to use the tagging system, so I just put everything I could think of.
Thank you,
Tekai

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tekai, welcome to the forum:)
I'm sorry to see you bobtail isn't 100%, also sorry that I don't have the answer - there are plenty here that will have more of an idea.
Looking at these photos tho, I can't help but stare at what looks to me like a tick. Please correct me if i'm completely off trackScreenshot_20181126-212704_Samsung Internet-720x1480.jpg

Hey Tekai, welcome to the forum:)
I'm sorry to see you bobtail isn't 100%, also sorry that I don't have the answer - there are plenty here that will have more of an idea.
Looking at these photos tho, I can't help but stare at what looks to me like a tick. Please correct me if i'm completely off trackView attachment 325662
That does look like a tick, which to me yells wild caught?

Which may lead to the recent study of a fungal disease in wild shinglebacks, which causes scale problems
[doublepost=1543266713,1543266489][/doublepost].

8C4EB768-5D74-42BF-BD5A-A2513DF75E23.jpeg

Not wild-caught, actually wild. It lives in my back yard. I can treat it there is something wrong, because I see it all the time.
[doublepost=1543274591,1543273038][/doublepost]Do you think that it is fungal? I'm assuming the treatment is topical. Does anyone know about which fungal treatments are toxic for bobtail and which ones are safe?
Also, what is this about a study on wild bobtail fungus infections? I can't find it online. Sounds interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back