Book recommendations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parko

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I've got myself a book voucher now I just need the right book. Problem is I'll have to order it in as the selection at my local Angus&Robertson is dismal. So can you bookworms out there tell me what you think the ultimate Aussie reptile book is. Must be packed with photo's and reliable info. Sort of like the bible of reptile books (though the bible has only one chapter on snakes :)
Thanks Matt.

The current "bible" is "a complete guide to reptiles of Australia" by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan. It has the requesent heaps of photos (good quality but a bit small).
Info isn't bad but I assume that they know things about nomenclarture that I don't.
Members of the SA herp group can pick it up for $35 but for the rest of you plebs it will set you back about $50 :) .

Don't forget to have a squiz through our "Books" section - there is plenty of feedback there aswell.

You'll have zero chance of getting Pythons of the World - I searched high and low for it, no book stores can get it. You can get it from vpi.com - owned by the authors.

I would recommend Richard Shines book.

we have a book section? ive never seen it before.

i also have the complete guide to australian reptiles and i treat it like my bible. another good read on pythons is pythons of australia:a natural history. its a great book.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Slatey junior I will check out the book section, forgot that! However it is good to hear the opinions of various APS members aswell.

I ordered pythons of the world vol 1 about a week ago from VPI just waiting for my package in the mail now.

if you can get a copy of the 6th edition of coggers, thatd be the way to go. The Gerry Swan book is OK, some of the photos aren't very good, and info is pretty limited at times, a good little book but IMO its not worth the 50 you pay for it. Would be a great buy at $35 though. But if you want a 'read' then Snakes: a natural history by Ric Shine is probably the best . Lots of info and some absolutely beautiful photography.

You obviously missed the ad on this very site :) I replied to the ad within a short time of it being posted and subsequently made the purchase :) Oh I am such a lucky boy :)

I just bought Coggers 2nd hand off Sarah the other day :) Along with Pythons Of The World...oh yeah...

I've also got the 6th Coggers book. Personally I don't like books where the photos can be a few pages away from the text. Very useful for clubbing whales though.

The best book set I have is the Australian Museums "Encyclopedia of Australian Animals".
There are four volumes - Birds, furballs, amphibians and Reptiles". I have them all. The pages are A4 size and there are normally only two species per page, a lot of species have their own page. Photos are large and good and the text is informative and easy to read. Unfortunatly it is a bit dated (like me), I purchased it in 1994 so some info is out of date. I've seen a TV show where this loud hyper-active presenter got bitten by a slatly-grey and he frantically leafed through this book to ID the snake !
The Wilson/Swan book is cheap enough for me to have two copies, with one living in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back