Books

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jeannine, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeannine

Jeannine Very Well-Known Member

thats why i bought the 4 book pack Mathew, i hated having to wait for each HP book to arrive because i read the previous one's too quick its also another reason why ive started buying the 'Bones' books so when ive finished this lot i can go directly onto them

ive just finished book 1 and im looking forward to the next one

how many LOTR's books are there?

didnt realise Jurassic Park was also a book, totally enjoyed the movies so might look at that as well, ive also been thinking of re reading the HP books

2. MathewB

MathewB Very Well-Known Member

There is The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King. I don't think The Hobbit is part of the LOTR series but it's set in the same universe and it comes before the first book.
    Jurassic Park was a great book, Michael Crichton wrote it.

3. shell477

shell477 Well-Known Member

the LOTR books are pretty massive, you have to be pretty into them to be able to finish the series. And the Hobbit is awesome, you can read that without ever reading LOTR, and as MathewB says, it comes before LOTR. Its technically part of the series but it actually happens before LOTR and sets things in motion.

4. Megzz

Megzz Well-Known Member

By the way Google fishpond for the best book site. Free shipping and really cheap books. I never buy from anywhere else now.

5. littlemay

littlemay Well-Known Member

The website 'booko' is the best for online book shopping. Goes through all the online book sellers and lists them least to most expensive, shipping included. The discrepancy in pricing can be insane; i once used booko.com to find what is usually a very expensive book, for only $110. Other sellers, such as Dymocks, had it for more like $500.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  6. Megzz

Megzz Well-Known Member

Wow I've never heard of booko, I'll have to check it out sounds good

7. Jeannine

thank you all for the information and suggestions

another reason i usually go with ebay is because im a member of another site and we get 'paid' points for every dollar we spend on reward partners (which ebay are) so if im going to spend money i might as well be rewarded for it, these points when you have accumulated enough can be exchanged for money so your paid to shop which i really like
    :D

ill check out the site to see if either of those are listed as reward members

ill also remember to get the Hobbit before any of the other books

book 1 of the 'Bones' collection arrived today and compared to the 'Inheritance Cycle' they seem small
    :lol:

i just googled and found 'The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Boxed Set' on that fishpond site and quite cheap enough, will wait till next week and see how things go

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. Defective

Defective Very Well-Known Member

"50 shades of grey" AMEN!!!!!! love this book

9. Jeannine

ill go look that up Defective, thank you

:oops: oh dear sounds like a book that needs to be read while the reader sits in a cold bath :lol:

10. Surroundx

Surroundx Active Member

I just finished reading Picnic at Hanging Rock. On to Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes and the Meaning of Life, by Alister McGrath. I have about another 500 books in my library to read still, so the book after this one could be anything. Sport, philosophy, biology, classic, ancient literature, astronomy etc.

11. Jeannine

wow Surroundx thats a huge collection

i admit i am not into Sports, Philosophy, Biology, Classic, Ancient Literature, Astronomy

i rather like fantasy, drama, some real life stories

as i have said before, if a book doesnt grab my attention in at least the first chapter then i know i wont read it at all so i go for ones that catch my attention

12. Surroundx

Surroundx Active Member

It's not that big, considering my read pile is about 50 books! Many people have thousands of books. But I find it isn't the quantity but rather the quality of books in ones library. Books you can read over and over again and never grow bored of them.

13. Defective

Defective Very Well-Known Member

i've just started to read a textbook on human anatomy and physiology....can't wait to get my kindle coz dad has a heap of books on radiology, sonography, and other medical books...i even down loaded the textbook of surgery.....most people unless they either train in medicine or grow up in the environment wouldn't understand it. i was lucky and my interest formed when i was young as dad is a radiographer and mum is a RN...hospitals were my second home! the radiologists use to sit me on their lap while they reported radiographs....and then i got taught how to read them.

14. Bradchip

Bradchip Well-Known Member

I'm reading the Game of Thrones books now. Way better than the tv show (and the tv show is nothing short of brilliant).

15. Jeannine

ive seen ads for the show on cable tv bradchip, looks ok

im almost finished book 3 of the 'Inheritance Cycle' and already dreading reading the final page of the final book

16. Emilie

Emilie Active Member

The Jo NesbΓΈ series about P.I Harry Hole is brilliant. My fab is The Snowman, phantom and The leopard. Must reads by fare.

17. Dash667

Dash667 Active Member

If your looking for a great fantasy read (and I'm very picky) The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is fantastic, one of those 'can't put it down, even though I need sleep' series and also, for a great Australian author, Isobelle Carmondy is very good, the Obernetyn series, wasn't really a fan of her other things.

18. Kc_read

Kc_read Active Member

Song of Ice and Fire*, love the show but they ruined it by naming it Game of Thrones thats the first book

19. Jeannine

dash that is how im currently feeling about these books, ive only a few pages left of book 3 and i refuse to lay down till they are finished so tomorrow night i can start on the final book which i both look forward to and dread because it will mean my 'journey' will end with them as well, this man is a talented writer and its so easy to loose yourself in them and become one with the characters

20. Dash667

Dash667 Active Member

Thats exactly it!! I hate the feeling its all coming to an end, when all you want to do is keep reading about the lives of the characters your intrigued with!! I'm currently waiting for the next Song of Ice and Fire and the last Wheel of Time books with trepidition as I never want the story to end!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.