Boy decapitates snake, finds he was bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im not sure if its STILL in our education system. im 20, and i do remember in school, learning about browns, rbb's and carpet pythons. i dont ever remember learning about which ones wherent venomous. only that the best thing to do is, stand still, and if far enough away, back away slowly.

its common sense not to touch snakes. i wouldnt want my kids learning which are and are not venomous. because then there is the chance of them suspecting it to be non-ven and have a go at picking it up. best bet is to teach society that snakes are apart of our ecosystem and that we should keep away from them but respect their place. (unless ofcoarse they live in a wooden cabinet in our lounge room)

Back in year 5, (I am in year 12 now.) we learnt about the different fangs, Pythons non venomous, Front fanged grooved or hollow and colubrids rear and grooved or hollow. But nothing more and yes I get asked if my python is venomous from an astounding amount of people.
Maybe everyone else forgot that and it was only because I had known that since year 1 that I remembered it.
I remember we had to do a research task on an animal but it had to be an overseas one because 'we already know so much about Australiain ones' which was an utter load of bs, a heap of students in my class could have done with being told Australia had native rodents, that microbats existed and that snakes do not actively hunt humans. The education system is really not good on this issue at all.

. But nothing more and yes I get asked if my python is venomous from an astounding amount of people.

If only i has a dollar every time someone asked if it was poisonous... i just tell them, do you honestly think i would keep a pet that could kill me from a bite (no offense to people that keep elapids you guys have a lot more experience in that department) but I really don't think my parents would be like "here son have this highly dangerous and venomous snake to keep as a pet :D". I wish people would think before asking those questions.

Still, we do need to include more about our wildlife into the curriculums. I don't even remember learning about snakes or reptiles that much in primary.

Kid is lucky he is from a modern wealthy nation with top medical care and encounters primarily neurotoxic snakes which cause little long term damage if you do survive. Send his *** to South Asia or Africa and let him do that vs snakes that will leave him with a permanent reminder of his stupidity..

In all seriousness through he is 11. What 11 year old isn't a naive hyperactive idiot.. I know I was and I am sure you were all time

Not the child's fault. I was always taught to stay away from snakes, spiders, hot things and women. Now it's only the spiders i fear :)
But seriously. Education is the best weapon.

Neurotoxic snakes can cause pretty bad damage to livers or kidney, I forget which one....

I think venom is rougher on the liver, because the liver removes unwanted things, such as toxins from the blood. But I believe that venom can damage both organs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back