Boyds Forest Dragon Information Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif

Someone wanted boyd pics
and no there not for sale. and there offspring are alredy sold.

more Female pics yet to be posted as the one on the ground of the outdoor inclosure is not a clear shot

more female pics to come as the 1 on the far right is not a clear shot.

Attachments

• P1030787 - Copy.jpg
    P1030787 - Copy.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 0002 boyds - Copy.jpg
    0002 boyds - Copy.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 242
  • 0001 boyds - Copy.jpg
    0001 boyds - Copy.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 258
  • boyds forest dragon.jpg
    boyds forest dragon.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 238
  • P1030786.jpg
    P1030786.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I was just about to post asking for info on these guys....then I saw this right away so much help thanks

Boyd

Hey thanks for the info just want to point out a thing about the waterfall Boyd dragons will only drink running water so hence the waterfall i got three babys this year and I use a syringe to give them water twice a day

Really? I know a few people who keen them with no water wall just a pond. A still one.

regular misting will suffice. and it really depends on how they where raised. I have raised many boyds without a waterfall. some will drink from a bowl and some from the spray bottle.

that looks so good mate how much has it set you back im in the midle of seting one up for mysel ATM a bit unsure about things i sent you a pm looking forward to your reply

I build the enclosure and my wife put the branches and water fall in :) they always drink from the running water except one who just drinks still water

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302693625.115160.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302693625.115160.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 239
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302693640.871182.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302693640.871182.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 229
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302693655.251536.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302693655.251536.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 180
it's good info guys I have kept Boyds for a year now and I'm learning stuff I have never used a waterfall I just spray them twice a day and ocasionly offer there food drowned in a cm of water I keep my adult trio in a 5 foot tall 4foot wide melamine enclosure finding it difficult with getting temps right now because I'm in canberra now instead of north qld and it's starting to get cold your enclosures look great 

By the way I'll try and put pictures up of enclosures in the next few days iPhones don't let u put pictures up

it's good info guys I have kept Boyds for a year now and I'm learning stuff I have never used a waterfall I just spray them twice a day and ocasionly offer there food drowned in a cm of water I keep my adult trio in a 5 foot tall 4foot wide melamine enclosure finding it difficult with getting temps right now because I'm in canberra now instead of north qld and it's starting to get cold your enclosures look great 

By the way I'll try and put pictures up of enclosures in the next few days iPhones don't let u put pictures up

iphone tapatalk is how i upload all my pics..... SOOO much faster. takes around 15seconds. just go into the advanced option section of your post and it has upload picture from your phones album. Awesome

Yep lol and I still can't work it out

photo.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto5.JPGphoto6.JPGphoto7.JPG

third picture is the enclosure i built for the adult trio, i got the same bark in it as the other one and because it holds humidity realy well and a few gumtree branches if you see the sand it was only temparary and i use tweasers to feed. i havent got any pics of big enclosure set up i will post more when i take some pictures my boyds are a little wierd they like to bask for a while every now and then i have never had babbys before so im new to them but one is more dominant and growing at a much more rapid pace i keep the top half of the big enclosure at about 29 degrese and its about 22 at the bottom im new to cold climits so should i use a heat cord to try and heat the tank or do you think that it will be ok.

also i couldent still work it out lol i did it from my compute

Last edited:
tempretures are fine. could go up anther couple degrees at the very top if you want. you need to have complitly verticle branches in there as well. do you hand feed? or just throw woodies and crickets in?

I have vertical branches in the big one not in the little one what temps up top do you think would be best with the younger ones I hand feed so I can control there food but the big ones I don't I just throw in a bowl and there at the bowl eating before I put it down is it ok to feed the bigger ones fish I feed my frillys fish the love them

Hmmm I never thought fish! I am going to try it tho! And make sure the little ones have branches as well! Umm 32 at very top is roughly what mine sits on and I have no problems' I keep a handful of crickets in with the little ones and they jump around catching them! And I hand feed woodies just in case they miss put on crix.

Yeah thx I don't want to feed babbys crickets as I was told they can't poo properly with fish but my frillys do and they love chewing them also helps get them to drink

Yeah thx I don't want to feed babbys crickets as I was told they can't poo properly with fish but my frillys do and they love chewing them also helps get them to drink

Last edited:
I was just about to post asking for info on these guys....then I saw this right away so much help thanks
That's what this thread is about, an informative & cumulative guide to the keeping of Boydii.
I am sorry for not keeping up with the thread, although I feel its prudent to clarify some important points that have been raised for the benefit of the animals kept.
I personally don't think having a waterfall is necessary, although through my experience Boyds seem to enjoy running water and like to let running water flow over their body which may re-hydrate them and they seem to enjoy the sensation. ( Is it because it is NOT so humid in the captive environment that I have made for them??) In saying that, I have never observed them having a drink from a waterfall, i'm sure they do, but I cant be there watching 24/7. :D My approach to having a waterfall in the captive environment, was to keep up humidity as this was a factor that needed to be replicated in the Southern States (NSW for me) which is what these wonderful creatures reside in their native habitat. I'm also sure that if an animal was thirsty they would drink from a clean water source, whether running water, misting or a bowl of fresh water! JMO...
Boyds as do alot of herps, take a poop in their water bowl and their waterfall...obviously the ramifications from this are apparent and one should clean the waterfall regularly and NOT have this as the only water source as it WILL be contaminated by feaces 100%. For me a waterfall was a means to keep up the humidity and to mimic as close to their basic parameters and to what i could achieve to their normal conditions, which kept my animals healthy and encouraged them to display a "normal" in a sense, captive behaviour. This was achieved by these guys breeding and displaying natural behaviours which i hope to share.

Yeah true all animals act diffrent in saying that it has been said they don't have to hav it but it's a nice to look at if you read the thread it is said that ppl don't always use one as I don't for my adults but I notice when I mist they drink from the side of there enclosure. I'm in Canberra and I find it hard for humidity on the best of days so I find that 2 liters in my waterfall will provivide most of the humidity needed for a small enclosure. Without the water dish being to deep

I have done a lot of research on fish now and it seems you should Only feed them fish on odd occasions as there is a high mercury level in fish and to much could kill them small amounts is ok tho

A few pictures of my trio. Had them for 6 months now.

Kept in a reptapet enclosure 600 600 by 900 high ATM

Have a 100w ceramic through winter and a 5% compact fluoro

Misted twice daily

Fed a variety of insects but they love small snails

I think i've got a male and 2 females but would be interested in what others think

Lets keep the thread alive!

boyd 4.jpg

boyd 3.jpg

boyd 1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back