Boyds Forest Dragon Information Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How old are they they look really nice but it's hard to tell gender from the pictures they all seem to have big heads

The first pic one on left looks male other looks female

They're 9 months old

The one on the left I thinks male too, he seems to rule the rost often perching highest and head bobbing a lot,

Wait and see

Yeah it's hard to tell it's amazing 9 months they look big I got a few from last season and there tinny still

In saying that in another 9 months you will know from dominance and fighting

Last edited:
Just thought IDE put some pics up of my new Boyds there a nice colour
79dac292-621c-c03b.jpg
79dac292-622d-4753.jpg
79dac292-623f-d02c.jpg

Thanks Scott for all your usefull information. Here is an enclosure I have spent all week setting up. Live plants and flood and drain watering system that works well in matianing humidity. Many Thanks

justlizards_boyds_enclosure.jpg
pencil.png

Enclosure Size

hi all,

I'm planning a 900mm L x 900mm H x 457mm D Exo Terra for a pair of adult southern angle heads, but now I'm most interested in Boyds- could an adult pair of Boyds be housed in this? What about a single adult? Also, is keeping just 1 adult bad? Do they get lonely?

hi all,

I'm planning a 900mm L x 900mm H x 457mm D Exo Terra for a pair of adult southern angle heads, but now I'm most interested in Boyds- could an adult pair of Boyds be housed in this? What about a single adult? Also, is keeping just 1 adult bad? Do they get lonely?

Lol I don't think that one will get lonely. That size is ok for 1 but I personally wouldn't put 2 in it because of it's depth if you do get two as babies that will be fine for a while but with that size I would say would be absolute minimum I have angle heads and Boyds and Boyds are by far allot nicer lizard to look at.

I was planning on putting 1x juvenile Boyd into a 900H x 900L Exo Terra vivarium with a couple of red eyed tree frogs. Anyone with experience in this? Is it likely to end in tears?

I was planning on putting 1x juvenile Boyd into a 900H x 900L Exo Terra vivarium with a couple of red eyed tree frogs. Anyone with experience in this? Is it likely to end in tears?

Never tried with frogs I'm pretty sure it would be ok as long as there the size comparison is taken into account.

I just finished another enclosure for my Boyds.
79dac292-eaf6-0b1b.jpg

Last edited:

Won't end in tears for the dragon ;)

Please share the results of your experimental housing arrangement, so we know whether it can be achieved successfully (or not!)

Leaf tailed geckos may make good housemates for Boyd's, also - need a MASSIVE viv for that combo, though.

Last edited:
A few tips

Hey I'm only new to Aussie Pythons. We keep Boyds where I work. It might interest people to know that we have White-Lipped tree frogs, Pink Tongue Skinks and Boyds all living happily together.

Also, we feed ours on pinky mice as well as insects. They're a great protein and nutrient source. Sometimes it can take a bit to convince a new lizard to eat them but once they see the others do it they work it out after a few feeds.

We spray ours with water everyday and make sure its for long enough to stimulate them to drink.

Thats about all I could think to add to whats already been written.

I love the Boyds Forest Dragon and would love to own one but I am going to wait until I know I have enough experience and knowledge to keep one, thanks for the thread as it helps to study and learn about this amazing animal.

I love the pics too.

Thanks heaps
All the best
Angil

This is a great thread very well done, I also keep Boyd's but lucky for me I live in North Queensland , mine are kept outside in an well planted aviary, with mist spray system and just a matter of interest mine eat dead food items and also have a liking to small amounts of fruit , lucky for me we have species of moth that naturally lives in the enclosure which the hatchling Boyd's are very partial too, this makes it so much easier. I really do admire your indoor enclosure, a lot of thought and time has gone into it, great to see people have a passion for these amazing rainforest lizards

Just came home to find my 2 mating on the floor of the enclosure which was a suprise to me :). I think they are only 14 months old, looking back at the records. Anyway at least I know I've got a pair. Anyone know how long from mating to egglaying? Female is looking quite bloated now so might be gravid already.

Thanks

Mites on Boyd's

Does anyone know what to use to get rid of mites on Boyd's!

Hey Southside, I was wondering how you created your trees, they look great.

thank you.

regards jason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back