Bredli being kept in the wrong environment?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plissken

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So, it turns out this Bredli I'm collecting tomorrow has been misted twice daily for at least the last 3 years, maybe all her life (she's 10). Is this ok? Sounds more like a jungle environment as the misting is bound to raise the RH? I've read in these forums that Bredli only need to be misted when in shed which makes sense as they are a desert species. I visited the animal on numerous occassions before deciding to buy and she appears to be perfectly healthy and happy.

So should I carry on misting? On one hand I want the the natural environmental conditions for the species (dry) but on the other hand there is a voice saying if it aint broke dont fix it. Especially considering her age?

Thoughts?

id stop the misting myself , totally unnecessary and could cause health problems , i know scale rot thrives in constantly damp conditions as do a number of other things

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. However I did check for signs of scale rot, mouth rot, mites etc and found nothing amiss. I guess the best way is to stop gradually over a couple of weeks so it's not such a shock?

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. However I did check for signs of scale rot, mouth rot, mites etc and found nothing amiss. I guess the best way is to stop gradually over a couple of weeks so it's not such a shock?
i doubt it very much that there would be any ill effects from stopping it all together the day you pick him up , its not like he needs it , it is actually quite the opposite it comes from an area where it would go through long periods of drought until the rains come , which can be heavy then they stop , its not like the bredlis out there are shrivelling up from a lack of humidity or sudden drops in humidity

the "if it aint broke dont fix it thing " is good applied to some cases but this one i just dont feel it is , its like me saying the strut tops of the suspension in my car are buggered and about to bust but they aint broke yet so i wont fix it , ill just wait until they pop out taking the risk that it might happen at 100km on the highway and i crash
, in this case its that the bredlis being kept in overly high humidity but he hasn't developed ri or scale rot yet so ill just wait and see if he ever does then i might change what im doing , do you see my point ?

Last edited:
i doubt it very much that there would be any ill effects from stopping it all together the day you pick him up , its not like he needs it , it is actually quite the opposite it comes from an area where it would go through long periods of drought until the rains come , which can be heavy then they stop , its not like the bredlis out there are shrivelling up from a lack of humidity or sudden drops in humidity

the "if it aint broke dont fix it thing " is good applied to some cases but this one i just dont feel it is , its like me saying the strut tops of the suspension in my car are buggered and about to bust but they aint broke yet so i wont fix it , ill just wait until they pop out taking the risk that it might happen at 100km on the highway and i crash
, in this case its that the bredlis being kept in overly high humidity but he hasn't developed ri or scale rot yet so ill just wait and see if he ever does then i might change what im doing , do you see my point ?

+1

Thank you. Sound advice indeed and thanks for taking the time to help. All of you. I think I'm going to like it here. :D

Like most Carpets, bredli shouldn't need misting at all, even prior to shedding. Twice daily is excessive even for rainforest species, GTPs are happy with misting once or twice a week, despite what many will tell you.

Jamie

Previous owner should get a bit of a glove slap for his stupidity when you pick it up tomorrow, how someone can think an animal from a region that reaches 40+ degrees and almost no humidity needs misting twice daily is beyond me...

Previous owner should get a bit of a glove slap for his stupidity when you pick it up tomorrow, how someone can think an animal from a region that reaches 40+ degrees and almost no humidity needs misting twice daily is beyond me...

I've kept my mouth shut so far since learning this but they will most definately be getting told what's what. When she's safely in my custody. It beats me how someone could keep a species for 3 years and still be oblivious to it's needs. I mean surely common curiosity would lead you to stumble across the fact that it's a desert species?

l have 6 Bredli (adults) and have bred them for a considerable period of time, mine are kept in floor to ceiling enclosures with heat panels at the top set at 36-38c but two of the larger females like to bask at 40c/104f for hours on end before going down to the bottom of the enclosure which is room temp.and each year they lay 20 - 45 eggs each year, feed fortnightly and are NEVER misted.....google Kings Canyon (Northern Territory- Australia) and have a look as this is THEIR AREA......solar 17

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. She is now in a much more suitable climate. She has a horizontal ground-level temperature gradient of 30C - 20C with a basking spot of 36C. There is also a vertical temperature gradient of 28C - 20C top to bottom. At the weekend I am buying another heat bulb to give a basking spot on the high perch (approx 5ft from floor) and raise the warm 'end' of the vertical gradient. I'm getting RH readings of 36% which seems to fit within the data for their natural habitat and must be quite a lot drier than how she was previously kept. I hope the sudden change doesn't freak her out. So far she's spent the vast majority of time in the hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back