Bredli Sudden Death =(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he explained that you get the rat to bite down on the peg until they die?????????? i still haven't figured it out and google didnt show me either....
ive read about it , it is basically exactly what he has said , you sort of have to sit there and wait for that moment that the snake strikes and coils the rat , then if the head and mouth are free and easily visible then to stop the rat from biting a chunk out of your snake you quickly shove a pencil (just what i read but a peg would work) into the rats mouth and get it to bite down on it , personally i think its a hell of alot more work then thawing out a rat and chucking it in or offering on tongs

also all those saying its illegal blahblahblah it actually isnt , i dont condone live feeding but it actually isnt illegal its only a recommendation both on your licence and with the rspca

Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

"The legality of feeding live mice to reptiles depends upon the relevant State/Territory legislation and relevant code of practice. In some States, the code recommends that reptiles should not be fed live food for their own protection and all vertebrate-eating reptiles must be encouraged to take dead food. In others it is recommended that: live vertebrates are not used as a food unless they are required absolutely as a food source by a species or individual animal; live rodents should not be left in a reptile enclosure overnight or for an extended period; and wild-caught rodents should not be used. However, these codes of practice are not enforceable by law and are therefore recommendations only"

ive read about it , it is basically exactly what he has said , you sort of have to sit there and wait for that moment that the snake strikes and coils the rat , then if the head and mouth are free and easily visible then to stop the rat from biting a chunk out of your snake you quickly shove a pencil (just what i read but a peg would work) into the rats mouth and get it to bite down on it , personally i think its a hell of alot more work then thawing out a rat and chucking it in or offering on tongs

"
thanks for that Thomassss, i think its more trouble than its worth.

also all those saying its illegal blahblahblah it actually isnt , i dont condone live feeding but it actually isnt illegal its only a recommendation both on your licence and with the rspca

Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

"The legality of feeding live mice to reptiles depends upon the relevant State/Territory legislation and relevant code of practice. In some States, the code recommends that reptiles should not be fed live food for their own protection and all vertebrate-eating reptiles must be encouraged to take dead food. In others it is recommended that: live vertebrates are not used as a food unless they are required absolutely as a food source by a species or individual animal; live rodents should not be left in a reptile enclosure overnight or for an extended period; and wild-caught rodents should not be used. However, these codes of practice are not enforceable by law and are therefore recommendations only"

Thank you finally a decent post. yes peg instead of a pencil and the rat was never left in enclosure for more than 10mins and without me standing watching it. Some of my snakes are picky and will not take the thawed rat but will eat live rats offered seconds after the dead one.

No it's not illegal but why would you do it? Me thinks to impress mates...
Nothing like a bit of animal torture to prove your a "real man"!
I love how full moon brings out all the crazies;)

If they don't like thawed have you tried freshly killed since you obviously have access to live rats. A lot of the time you can trick them into thinking it is still alive. Also if they are really fussy split the head and rub the brains on the body. This gives it a really strong smell that excites the snake.

was said in an older post but yes what i usually do. sorry that iv grown up on a farm where there where hundreds of rats and i used to lift the tin to make them scatter where my cat would catch live rats. just dosent bother me that much to feed live rats sorry im not like everyone else and no i dont show anyone my snakes feeding as it puts them off there food from all the bodies in the room.

- - - Updated - - -

split the head and rub the brains on the body....

Noway im trying that. cant even watch needles yet alone slices and brains ..

I notice you are selling snakes, presumably from the same draw and fed the same peg rats. Hopefully this ad gets deleted when you get banned in about twenty seconds time.

its been 5 mins? and my tanks are for-sale aswell as the snakes that lived in them. My god yes everyone i bought 10 bed side tables just to open all the draws to put all my snakes in to roam around my house and **** everywhere haha yesssss i love the herp community already. Thanks for the great welcome and the realization that half of use are bunch of ****ers with a rule book halfway stuck up ya *** to even realize love for a animal / reptile. iv never had problems or health problems nothing! and iv owned for over 2 years. my vet and locale reptile club president approves at my ways and keeping so don't give stuff what any you *** holes have to say.

I agree that just because your keeping style is ...ummm...unorthadox doesn't mean that is why your snake died. It obviously seems like you really loved your bredli. The vet will be able to tell you the cause hopefully soon. I just have a quick question if you have only been keeping snakes for the last 2years why so many so quickly and why are you selling them?

- - - Updated - - -

yet you can stand the squeals of a rat being painfully crushed to death and watch a cat torment them to death. yup you're normal...

Like thomassss said, live feeding isn't illegal. But then neither is...I dunno, something else that isn't illegal but still isn't cool. Oh I know, killing a snake cause you feel threatened. OK, I admit I just wanted to get a post on this thread before it gets closed. Silly boy fulmar, I WAS on your side. Unorthodox doesn't always mean bad, however in this case I think I was wrong. Sorry for your loss

Like thomassss said, live feeding isn't illegal. But then neither is...I dunno, something else that isn't illegal but still isn't cool. Oh I know, killing a snake cause you feel threatened. OK, I admit I just wanted to get a post on this thread before it gets closed. Silly boy fulmar, I WAS on your side. Unorthodox doesn't always mean bad, however in this case I think I was wrong. Sorry for your loss
dont take my previous post the wrong way anyone , i dont condone live feeding not so much for the rat(not that i dont care about them but there food anyway) but for my snake i dont want to see them getting chunks bitten off them like happens with wild snakes , i just know that it isn't illegal and its one of the things that bugs me a bit , is when people talk about the law when they dont actually know what the laws are , also people who want to sue someone at the drop of a hat just for the easy cash but enough of that rant

fulmer , the excuse of my snake just wouldn't eat dead rats but will eat live is a load of crap imo , if you honestly cant even get it to eat fresh killed then you should pass the animal on

my coastal came from a dimwit who live fed and he told me the exact same thing the day i got it , " it just wont eat dead rats i tried everything , you'll have to feed live " literally on the very first attempt of properly thawing out a rat and heating it up offering on tongs with a nice steady twitch he snapped it up without hesitation and hasn't looked back

I agree that just because your keeping style is ...ummm...unorthadox doesn't mean that is why your snake died. It obviously seems like you really loved your bredli. The vet will be able to tell you the cause hopefully soon. I just have a quick question if you have only been keeping snakes for the last 2years why so many so quickly and why are you selling them?

Yeah night time in a draw to me dosent seem bad at all she went everywhere with me..(car,boat,bike,lounge,walks) whateva i did she came with me.... and stayed in an open draw when i went to sleep .. dosent mean 15 snakes where kept in draws and let to rome around freely as they please. Just because i kept 1 snake close to me at night dosent mean i cant care and look after my reptiles in proper healthy conditions. They where cleaned everyday in the bath and cages cleaned every 2 days with F10 Vetinary disinfectant. no matter if they crapped or not. Reason so many so quick i just got a random obsession with it and im close friends with my locale herp group president who also has over easy 40 so i just started collecting and when i like something else and or need some money ill simply sell a few to chosen people whom i think are fit to keep them with the proper licencing and so on and get anouther or move on ... i dont see why i cant do what i wont like use all do ? and my god not every rat i fed to my snakes where live jeeeeez. And ever thought about whats natural plus check my snakes there is not one mark or cut or anything so will everyone just **** off with there **** trying to say im a bad handler and so on.

:? hmmm

i think everyone has different ways of caring for reptiles, some see them as only reptiles that belong in an enclosure others let theirs roam around their house ect what matters is that you loved your snake.

mine sits every night on my laptop with me, then we watch tv together before i pop her in her enclosure for bed. my beardies walk around the house like they own the joint. alot of people think i am mad or that they should be locked in their enclosures. i think i am pretty normal, just love them to bits.

rat traps and rat bait is worse than feeding a live rat to a snake. at least its for food which they do in the wild and is natural. rat bait takes hours and is painful, rat traps are just as bad wen a rats leg gets caught and they scream for ages before they die or someone kills them.

i think everyone has different ways of caring for reptiles, some see them as only reptiles that belong in an enclosure others let theirs roam around their house ect what matters is that you loved your snake.

mine sits every night on my laptop with me, then we watch tv together before i pop her in her enclosure for bed. my beardies walk around the house like they own the joint. alot of people think i am mad or that they should be locked in their enclosures. i think i am pretty normal, just love them to bits.

rat traps and rat bait is worse than feeding a live rat to a snake. at least its for food which they do in the wild and is natural. rat bait takes hours and is painful, rat traps are just as bad wen a rats leg gets caught and they scream for ages before they die or someone kills them.

I agree Saint but I still dont condone live feeding, I get what you mean, I would be more worried about my snake and wouldnt take the risk, especially since my BHP doesnt strike and constrict, she prefers them dead and waiting at the entrance of her hide for her to gulp down, my other two strike and constrict but I still wouldnt trust a live rat in with my snakes, I love them, they are my family, I do practically what you do, my snakes are out everyday, they tolerate being held and love the adventure.

Fulmer: I am sorry to hear about your Bredli, my first Bredli died a week after we had him, he had neuro issues :(
It was horrible, we got a necropsy done and the vet said his brain was deformed. It was horrible.
I now have another little girl which we have had for a few months now and she is doing great.
Anyway, sorry again to hear about your guy :(

Yeah egzactly everyone has there different ways of handling, raising, breeding etc. Haha Yeah sounds like my beardies they just cruise everywhere then suddenly he will come flying from nowhere and starts having some fun on her lol. Everyone who comes over just break out in laughter. And yes totally rite baits and traps are worse then feeding a live rat. Thankyou finally just wonteetd a half sane answer lol take care.

i don't encorage live feeding, but their are snakes that are fussy/ hard to feed but will take live straight away. i always offer thawed but have a few pythons that drive me nuts. due to the risk factor with mice/ rats i have feed live baby chickens insted. i don't like watching, i feel guilty after but knowing my snake has eaten is what i care the most about. plus no one sits and thinks how their chicken was killed before it became a nugget or burger.

my partner has feed them live mice wen we could not get baby chickens, he supervises. and never has one of our snakes been biten or hurt and they are very healthy.

Thanks Blackheaded92 its hard loosing one yet alone so close. Thats terrible sorry to hear. My girl is at the vet and i will no the answers by tomorrow by2 so i will let all no what happened Im not sure on another bredli just wouldn't be the same but i dunno iv got a little albino Darwin and hes starting to take a liking for me so see how he comes along :).
Thanks for your concern its appreciated.

Bugga.... I would love to have read all the stuff that got deleted :shock:

Sounds like you guys had this one pegged (pun intended) as a troll :rolleyes:

A snake that sleeps in a drawer? Maybe he choked on a jock strap? Feeding it rats with a peg on its nose? Wild! must have been a great story ;)

- - - Updated - - -

was said in an older post but yes what i usually do. sorry that iv grown up on a farm where there where hundreds of rats and i used to lift the tin to make them scatter where my cat would catch live rats. just dosent bother me that much to feed live rats sorry im not like everyone else and no i dont show anyone my snakes feeding as it puts them off there food from all the bodies in the room.

- - - Updated - - -

So, do you feed your snakes wild caught rats? Have you ever heard of parasites? You would need to be dam quick with the peg to get it in the gob of any of the wild rats around here :shock: they are viscious things.... god help any snake (especially captive bread snakes) that try to eat one.... they would be torn to pieces by an 'upset' wild rat :shock:

You keep bodies in your room :shock:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah night time in a draw to me dosent seem bad at all she went everywhere with me..(car,boat,bike,lounge,walks) whateva i did she came with me.... and stayed in an open draw when i went to sleep .. dosent mean 15 snakes where kept in draws and let to rome around freely as they please. Just because i kept 1 snake close to me at night dosent mean i cant care and look after my reptiles in proper healthy conditions. They where cleaned everyday in the bath and cages cleaned every 2 days with F10 Vetinary disinfectant. no matter if they crapped or not. Reason so many so quick i just got a random obsession with it and im close friends with my locale herp group president who also has over easy 40 so i just started collecting and when i like something else and or need some money ill simply sell a few to chosen people whom i think are fit to keep them with the proper licencing and so on and get anouther or move on ... i dont see why i cant do what i wont like use all do ? and my god not every rat i fed to my snakes where live jeeeeez. And ever thought about whats natural plus check my snakes there is not one mark or cut or anything so will everyone just **** off with there **** trying to say im a bad handler and so on.

Wow? You took your snake in the car,boat,bike,walks?? Your licenses must be different in NSW? We arent allowed to 'display' our reptiles? The only time we can have them out of our premisis is to take them to a vet. You do have a license I take it? In NSW, are you allowed to take your snake into a shop or have it in public view say in your car or something?

yet you can stand the squeals of a rat being painfully crushed to death and watch a cat torment them to death. yup you're normal...
have a question for everyone that keeps carrying on about feeding live rats cos its cruel, WHY isit cruel???? i dont do it as i cant be bothered keeping live rats everywhere and frozen rats are much cheaper to keep, but i am a shooter and a hunter with dogs, i have hunter pigs with 2 or 3 large dogs, i have hunter foxes wih dogs, rabbits with dogs, rats with dogs and i have shot more animals than i could ever count. To alot of the city people on here will call e a killer, murderer and blah blah blah so to me killing an animal is for food or sport is not a big deal, and like the OP said in one of his posts about living on a farm and lifting tin and all the rats run out, he has a totally different look on rats than city people would, i saw on tv the other day a bloke lifting tin and rats running everywhere and he had 3 or 4 little dogs running in and chomping rats left right and center, is that cruel? i have a shooting job to do tomorrow night where i have to go to a property that has a rat problem, i will have 2 shooters i will be in the sheds shooting the rats while i have the second shooter on the outside shooting the ones that run out the shed, is that cruel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back