Bredli Tank Size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsReptiles

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am getting a Centralian Carpet Python (morelia bredli) soon and i just wanted to know the recomended tank size for an adult female. Answer by saying 3 foot long, 2 foot tall, 1 foot wide instead of 3x2x1 thanks. Also what sort of lighting and heating do they need and do they need heat at night? Also do they need ledges in their tank

4 foot long by 1 and 1/2 foot deep, by 2 foot tall would be minimum, IMO. And despite them being known as terrestrial, they will climb, so a ledge and/or pole to climb on is preferred. An overhead heat source is fine, as long as you have a cage on any globe or CHE. You don't need UV, but if you want a light, then put one in.

thanks very much, what is the diff between deep and tall and also how wide. I know theyll climb, is a day basking lamp fine and do they need another moonlight one for night, good to know they dont need uvb

Deep is the same as wide. Just heat during the day, and nothing at night, unless you live somewhere where it gets below zero at night.

no i dont its not that thank you very much also what substrate? is red desert sand good?

No, not for any python. I know there might be sand in their natural habitat, but the sand can get under their scales in an enclosure. Depends on the look you are after. Aspen bedding, or something similar, is good if you want the natural look. Some people use critter crumble as well. We are not so fussed on the look, so we use the recycled paper cat litter. It's good on keeping the smells down, and it's cheap.

ok i will use reptibark or something but just saying how can it get under scales and affect them in an enclosure but not in wild and ive seen zoos use sand

Chipsi Xxl is great if you can find it - Dont get Chipsi Snake as it is too fine - Some Cat litter can expand when it gets any moisture in it and if injested can be fatal

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

is coarse sand ok because maybe it cant fit under the scales?

I would definitely have some height and I wouldn't bother with a day time heat light as they tend to be mostly nocturnal. I base this on my experience with my bredli which is limited but seems to work as she is healthy. (I say 'she' but her gender is actually unknown).
My bredli is currently 1.8m long and is in a 4L x 2W x 3H feet enclosure. She spends most of her time on her branch and in her (empty) hanging pot. The only time she is not there normally is when she is on her heat mat (digesting, shedding or very cold weather). I used to have a heat light in her cage but noticed she didn't go near it very much and decided to stop using it. She doesn't use the heat mat very much either and is still active throughout most of the Brisbane winters so she seems to like a cooler temperature than my woma. The heat mat is actually heat cord inside a shelf in her enclosure. If you want a heat lamp, I would use one that doesn't admit light, but I feel a heat mat//cord is sufficient (do remember heat lights need a cage around them to stop the snake from burning themselves). I should add that the breeder I got her from had his adult bredli's in 4x2x2 feet enclosures so you can have them without height but mine definitely uses hers.

as to substrate, there are pros and cons to all substrates from what i have been able to find out. It depends on your circumstances and what look you want. I have gone with newspaper due to ease of cleaning and low cost, over something that looks nicer. Its not pretty but it works and she doesn't spend a lot of time on it anyway.

Raymonde

My girl is a little spoiled.
She has 9 feet long 2 feet deep and 3 foot high to play in.
She is near on 10 feet long.

- - -
20160626_170818_zpsybnbshq6.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why it linked two pics.
Everthing in this i built for $500

Its made of insulated wallmark panels. With
A double glazed front window i scored cheap off
Gumtree.
The background is just foam melted with a blow torch
And covered in grout then sealed.

Youtube and google carried me thru this build.

Attachments

• 20160626_170818.jpg
    20160626_170818.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Late to the party. I have not been here in a bit. That enclosure is sensational!

Also I've never heard these snakes being called terrestrial. I'm not trying to start a debate however I've always heard they were semi arboreal as all morelia are.

I have a US produced mutt, coastal crossed with something I'm guessing, but she is always off the deck when nightfall hits.

This cage is 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 2 feet tall.

I like the big cage pictured in this thread a lot. Well done!
IMG_3278.jpg

I'm dying for a Bredli!

Last edited:
20160719_234913_zpsfnxkpmk2.jpg

I made this one from that modular shelving from bunnings-boxed in with ply. Its 2 shelves high. probably not the cheapest option but he hasn't escaped and can do everything a Bredli enjoys most of the time in there.Check out the hides at the bottom. large ceramic tiles with wooden edges glued on . You can shape them to suit if you wish. they are easy to clean and easy to remove to gain access to the feisty Boris who hates being pestered.

Last edited:
It always amazes me people recommending anything less than a 4Lx2Wc2H for a bredli, and even that in my opinion is too small. I think we should be aiming to move away from these minimum sizes and try to provide enclosures that give ample space.
Reptile husbandry is coming on leaps and bounds, the sooner we move away from cramped enclosures the better. I'm sure there is no one out there, given the choice between a snake in a cramped enclosure and a snake in a large display enclosure, would choose the former.

Anyway, nice work Spikeee! How old is your bredli? Also, do you have any other photos of your enclosure? Maybe one with you standing next to it? Without nothing to reference the size of your bredli or enclosure, the size is lost in the photo. :)

My girl is a little spoiled.
She has 9 feet long 2 feet deep and 3 foot high to play in.
She is near on 10 feet long.

- - -
20160626_170818_zpsybnbshq6.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why it linked two pics.
Everthing in this i built for $500

Its made of insulated wallmark panels. With
A double glazed front window i scored cheap off
Gumtree.
The background is just foam melted with a blow torch
And covered in grout then sealed.

Youtube and google carried me thru this build.

It always amazes me people recommending anything less than a 4Lx2Wc2H for a bredli, and even that in my opinion is too small. I think we should be aiming to move away from these minimum sizes and try to provide enclosures that give ample space.
Reptile husbandry is coming on leaps and bounds, the sooner we move away from cramped enclosures the better. I'm sure there is no one out there, given the choice between a snake in a cramped enclosure and a snake in a large display enclosure, would choose the former.

Anyway, nice work Spikeee! How old is your bredli? Also, do you have any other photos of your enclosure? Maybe one with you standing next to it? Without nothing to reference the size of your bredli or enclosure, the size is lost in the photo. :)

Sure.
I haven't been on here since this post.

Once i get home i will take a better pic and upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back