Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

themightyfinn

Reaction score
Hey,
Those who keep bredlis coould you please answer a couple of my questions.
Would i be able to keep an adult bredli in a enclosure 1200 high x 1000longx 600 deep?
What size food do you feed an adult ?
How long could i keep a hatchling in a tub?
How big are they fully grown?

Thanks in advance.

Fully grown they will reach between 6-8foot which is about 2.4 metres (max.) An adult would take a rat, and as for how long your hatchling will stay in its tub, how big is your tub?

Hey,
Those who keep bredlis coould you please answer a couple of my questions.
Would i be able to keep an adult bredli in a enclosure 1200 high x 1000longx 600 deep?

Yes that would be ok, I keep mine in 1800L*600W*900H maybe a touch longer would be better, but that sounds ok.

What size food do you feed an adult ?

Adults eat food such as 200g rats L (sometimes a few at a time), 3 week old Jap quails, chickens etc. Bredli are not generally fussy. The reason i say large rats rather than Jumbo which they can easily take, is because Jumbo rats contain too much fat. As a rule i never feed a python rats much larger than 200g.

How long could i keep a hatchling in a tub?

Depends on the size of the tub, how much you feed the snake to the size it will grow. Generally for at least a year in a big tub, there is no set rule. You can use your own judgement, you will know when it's too big for the tub.

How big are they fully grown?

Bredli get bigger than many think. They reach around 2.5 metres on average but can become a thick set powerhouse with age, sometimes up around the 8kg + mark. Although usually considered gentle, the odd one is snappy and can be hard to handle at that size.

Thanks in advance.

There you go mate!

Cheers

There you go mate!

Cheers

I have to disagree with you there. Bredli need floor space to stretch out on. 1m long just doesn't cut it for an adult of any of the morelia group as far as i am concerned. 1200mm imo is the bare minimum for a small adult (say 6.5-7ft) 1500mm would be better. My enclosure for my adult bredli, the biggest of which is 8ft 6in, is 1700mm x 800mm x 800mm.

I have to disagree with you there. Bredli need floor space to stretch out on. 1m long just doesn't cut it for an adult of any of the morelia group as far as i am concerned. 1200mm imo is the bare minimum for a small adult (say 6.5-7ft) 1500mm would be better. My enclosure for my adult bredli, the biggest of which is 8ft 6in, is 1700mm x 800mm x 800mm.

Totally understand what your saying, and if you read what i wrote, i keep mine in 6*2*3 ft, But please explain to me what the diference is if it's 1200 high and 1 m wide! obviously they stretch upwards in an enclosure with branches so you have 3ft of height and 1metre of floor space. Mine are generally curled up on the floor, and stretch out up branches. I believe height is a more important dimension here.

Hell i have seen sub adult burmese kept in this size. What i am saying is if thats all he has that it's probably fine (even at least for 3 years or so).

As for all Morelia, GTP's and RSP get lost and stress out in enclosures that big.

Mine have always been more terestrial and tend to stretch out on the floor of their cages rather than on their branches. You can also still give your snakes plenty of climbing room and opportunities in a long cage but you can't give a snake alot of floor space in a tall cage. You can also have a much better temp gradient in your enclosure, their are more benefits to a long enclosure than a tall enclosure.

I'm not disagreeing with the conditions you keep yours in, i'm disagreeing that a 1200 high x 1000longx 600 deep is adequate for an adult bredli.

As for GTPs and RSPs... The people i know and have seen the set up for their adult RSPs they have all been in longer rather than taller enclosures (still with climbing opportunities) around the 1200mm long mark, they didn't seem lost or stressed. I haven't seen any adult GTPs in friends collections first hand, but i don't see how they would stress in a similar enclosure. Although it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back