Breeders Registry

Discussion in 'For Sale (Snakes)' started by Scutellatus, May 5, 2018.

1. Scutellatus

Scutellatus Well-Known Member

How about we start a breeders registry so we can promote the breeders on here and hopefully bring some more traffic to the site.
    Below is an example of how I think it should look. If anyone has any ideas feel free to post them especially on what category you think this registry thread should be in.
    If someone wants to get the ball rolling even better @Pauls_Pythons @Yellowtail.

Breeders Username:

Reptiles Bred:

Price Range:

Freight available:

Contact Details - (Optional)
    Ph:
    Email:

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Pauls_Pythons

Pauls_Pythons Power Seller Power Seller

Certainly something that I'm in favour of for the site.

Scutellatus likes this.
  3. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Well-Known Member

I'm all for it, there are lots of people relatively new to the hobby that will find a list of reputable breeders invaluable and it looks like Facebook will be stopping adds for live animals although Reptile Classifieds is promoting links from the Facebook groups to the site.
    It could be part of the "For Sale" or stand alone with links to adds.

4. Scutellatus

It could possibly be stickied to the top of the For Sale section. Do either of you two want to be the first to put their details down? First in first on the list.... Then the top post can be edited with some posting rules and our chat cleaned to make it registry details only.

Cody Harvey and Pauls_Pythons like this.
  5. Pauls_Pythons

Might need to add whether freight is available. Some breeders will only sell local.

6. krissy78

krissy78 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea

Scutellatus likes this.
  7. banana_loki

banana_loki Not so new Member

great idea

Scutellatus likes this.
  8. Nero Egernia

Nero Egernia Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds good. It can be difficult looking for a particular critter and you can't find who breeds or sells them because you don't have the connections that long time hobbyists have. I would put my name up but I haven't really bred anything yet, and if I have I no longer keep the animals or I haven't bred enough to be listed on a breeder's registry.

I don't think listing a price range would work, however, as prices change all the time. People sometimes do not wish to list a price until the animals are ready to go, or for other reasons.

Maybe instead of listing all the breeders in a single thread, you could split it into linked groups.

An example (the breeders are just examples):

Snakes, Lizards, Turtles, Frogs, Invertebrates.

Click on "Lizards".

Lizards ------> Dragons, Geckos, Monitors, Pygopods, Skinks.

Click on "Skinks". Then scroll down through the list of species (perhaps alphabetical order). Under the species name the breeder will be listed underneath.

Tiliqua multifasciata
    Breeder: John Smith
    Breeder: Mick Taylor

Tiliqua nigrolutea
    Breeder: Homer Simpson
    Breeder: Kimberly Craig

Tiliqua occipitalis
    Breeder: Edna Marie

Tiliqua rugosa
    N/A

Tiliqua scincoides
    Breeder: Darian Frey
    Breeder: Micheal Dundee

Click on the breeder you would like to make an inquiry to.

John Smith ------> Contact details.

Or perhaps have a search engine in which you type in the critter you're interested in purchasing and then a list of registered breeders will show up. Just some ideas and thoughts anyway.

9. Scutellatus

Thanks for the feedback Kayla.
    In regard to price I think it needs to be there so that people don't waste their time or the breeders with unnecessary contact finding out prices. We could make it optional though.
    In regard to the linked groups, it is a great idea but would mean a bit of work for @Stuart which I am not sure he has time for. Maybe if we get a list going in posts and then the linked groups can be looked at down the track.

Stuart likes this.
  10. Cody Harvey

Cody Harvey New Member

Great idea.. . This would be amazing.. I am a little bit reluctant on buying from a pet store....

11. Pauls_Pythons

The only reason I would ever buy from a pet shop would be to save an animal from suffering. Very few pet shops breed anything so their animals came from somewhere.....a breeder. And are marked up in price accordingly and the conditions are generally not the best. And you really need to be mindful of quarantine when buying an animal that has potentially been handled by hundreds of people.

Schnappy, Cody Harvey and AnthonyL like this.
  12. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Not so new Member

Learnt this the hard way with my rescue coastal, who was euthanised this week. Tried to do something good and take him on, however after spending much money at the vet, found out he had several incurable illnesses. Will never buy from a pet store again, not even to save an animal. Not just because of the money, but because our family became very attached to him and were put in the position of having to make the tough call, after out of a good heart trying to help out a placid / surrendered coastal, who really should never have been sold by the pet shop. They didn't argue when I spoke with them, I didn't even ask for a refund, they refunded me in full the $150 and the $30 I wasted on rats the past 6 weeks on a terminally ill python. More than the money on rats, and ultra sounds and hydration therapy, I wasted a lot of energy and emotion which they thought they 'fixed' by reimbursing me the cost of the python. So that says to me, they knew he wasn't 100% - Never again. They are just for profit. Still living with guilt about the burden of responsibility I had regarding the choice to euthanise him. Not fair. Good intentions the buyer can have don't always match the intentions of pet shop...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  13. Stompsy

Stompsy Subscriber Subscriber

Care to elaborate on his illnesses?

We have purchased a few reptiles in order to save them and in some cases it hasn't ended well. Just curious of his diagnosis?

14. AnthonyL

edited

BF01AE51-BCB7-40C0-BD23-2120E3543B46.jpeg

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    CaseyJames, Schnappy, Tony B and 2 others like this.
  15. Stompsy

Stompsy Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for explaining. Poor guy.

And after reading your post, they blatantly lied to you about it having been fed if they knew it had come in with the lump. No one here is going to berate you for trying your hardest to help the snake.

My only concern is the vet not running those scans straight away after hearing the lump had been there for longer than 6 weeks. That seems odd to me.

The attitude of the pet shop however does not surprise me at all.

Tony B and AnthonyL like this.
  16. AnthonyL

She was treating for bowel impaction first and dehydration. Trying to move the mass, we were told was ‘food’ - I trusted her on that call. A week later she ordered the ultrasound. Unsure if that was the right thing to do. Tricky when you are newer to this and relyignon advice from the experts. 20 yrs exp in reptiles, 10 of thise years in a zoo, so I trusted her process of elimination.

My first disastrous experience. Hope its my last. Definitely not taking the personal lessons Inhave learned from this lightly.

Again, it’s not the money. (Although I don’t have spare to just burn) It’s the life. A part of pet ownership I’ve always struggled with over the decades.

Thanks for listening

Tony B, Ropey and Stompsy like this.
  17. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Has this been created yet? I'm pairing my diamonds this season and am super keen to get the bubs advertised. The parents are gorgeous and beautifully natured. This will be my first season!

18. Snake House

Snake House New Member

Money Hungry pet shop & vet, sorry for your loss mate...
    I've seen too much bad husbandry lately it makes you wonder whats happened to people to care so little about an animal that THEY ARE KEEPING LOCKED IN A CAGE FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL ENJOYMENT.
    sorry but angry is not the word for it...
    I've considered putting a cage in my own back yard here in Melb. to see how they go stripped to nothing without a heat source for just a night :}

CaseyJames and Schnappy like this.
  19. SKYWLKR

SKYWLKR Active Member

BREEDERS REGISTRY 2.0

Seems like this thread is still posted, however... has the idea of a breeders registry been pushed aside for other social media avenues? Most of us know that FB has made life very short-lived for those whom advertise animals, reptiles and Clive Palmer ads.

Having said that, I know there are definitely breeders out there with excess stock, hold-backs, personal life changes of heart and upcoming season hopefulness, whom are wanting to sell and keep the ball rolling.

So may I please (with blessings of the Mods) resurrect this thread and get an updated opinion of where everyone is at with the idea of a bonifide and Australia-wide BREEDERS REGISTRY?