Breeding beginner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshherp

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, thinking of getting into breeding. But have some questions first, so I’ll get right into it. (I live in wa by the way)
1.is it a good idea
2.what would you advise breeding for ease and an actual market for it
3.general
4.I know it’s dumb but you can’t sell to pet stores can you? and if not what’s the best way to sell them

thx for being helpful as always

1.is it a good idea ---- if you're interested in doing it, sure but do it for the experience not for the money, if you do it with $$$ eyes, you will soon be disappointed
2.what would you advise breeding for ease and an actual market for it ----- this is always changing, at the moment its heavily favoured towards multi gene animals
3.general --- do your research, keeping and breeding australian pythons is a bible for breeders
4.I know it’s dumb but you can’t sell to pet stores can you? and if not what’s the best way to sell them --- you 100% can, but they will only buy from people who have a solid breeding background

Other sites to sell include this sites marketpalce, reptile classifieds and reptiles down under

1.is it a good idea ---- if you're interested in doing it, sure but do it for the experience not for the money, if you do it with $$$ eyes, you will soon be disappointed
2.what would you advise breeding for ease and an actual market for it ----- this is always changing, at the moment its heavily favoured towards multi gene animals
3.general --- do your research, keeping and breeding australian pythons is a bible for breeders
4.I know it’s dumb but you can’t sell to pet stores can you? and if not what’s the best way to sell them --- you 100% can, but they will only buy from people who have a solid breeding background

Other sites to sell include this sites marketpalce, reptile classifieds and reptiles down under
Thanks so much.
definetly not in it for the money I love my reptiles as much as the next but I also don’t won’t to be end up with it costing tons more than it makes as not exactly loaded.
also what do you mean by multi gene? And solid breading background?
Absolutely legendary ?

Thanks so much.
definetly not in it for the money I love my reptiles as much as the next but I also don’t won’t to be end up with it costing tons more than it makes as not exactly loaded.
also what do you mean by multi gene? And solid breading background?
Absolutely legendary ?
by multi gene i assume they mean morphs of which we have pretty much none here in Wa so dont worry about that

i think the closest we can get are localities such as coastal SWcarpets
Well that and the occasional wheatbelt vs Pilbara stimie.
also do you know what licensing you need to breed because I’ve heard the farming one works but also that it should be the breeding- dealing licences

Well that and the occasional wheatbelt vs Pilbara stimie.
also do you know what licensing you need to breed because I’ve heard the farming one works but also that it should be the breeding- dealing licences
i dont think you need one for breeding rather to sell more than one clutch of eggs in a year? you would be better off asking one of the Wa reptile facebook groups or emailing/calling dpaw and asking

i dont think you need one for breeding rather to sell more than one clutch of eggs in a year? you would be better off asking one of the Wa reptile facebook groups or emailing/calling dpaw and asking
Oh ok. Thanks, I will

im not planning to breed, or not for a while at least but i was just curious - what is the startup cost to start breeding snakes?

Breeding pair with seperate enclosures

Rack + tubs (and grow out tubs if u plan to keep any!)

Incubator

Electricity

im not planning to breed, or not for a while at least but i was just curious - what is the startup cost to start breeding snakes?

Last edited:
what’s the best/cost effective way to heat racks for hatchlings?

ah disagree I've been to pet stores who say they would buy all my hatches if I bred my snakes. even though I've never bred before. also depends on the snake

Latest posts

Back