breeding blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aj33340

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey everyone im looking at breeding my blotched and eastern blue tongue lizards and wondering what would be the best way to breed them and the process? i was thinking of putting them outside and let it happen naturally, is that the best way? and is there a surtant weight that they should be at before breeding? thanks in advance

Well, you get another blotched and another eastern, opposite gender to the ones you have and then you can think about breeding them.

This doesn't answer your questions, but its a great clip from a keeper in the US. Should gee you up a bit .

[video=youtube_share;lZivIYLfcX4]http://youtu.be/lZivIYLfcX4[/video]

Cheers

hey everyone im looking at breeding my blotched and eastern blue tongue lizards and wondering what would be the best way to breed them and the process? i was thinking of putting them outside and let it happen naturally, is that the best way? and is there a surtant weight that they should be at before breeding? thanks in advance

The best way to breed them?

Depends on how you define best. Easterns and Blotchies bred in outdoor enclosures tend to breed later than their indoor counter parts. I prefer breeding blueys indoors as it allows me to have greater control, who's paired with who etc.. I will proceed with how I breed my Easterns and Northerns as I have had most of my breeding experience with those.

I also keep my blueys by themselves and only pair them for the mating act. When they are in season, they will exhibit mating behaviour within minutes (if not straight away), and are separated as soon as the deed has been completed. This is because mating in blueys can be quite violent and steps need to be taken to reduce the damage. Legs and tails don't grow back. The timing for when your blueys are in season can depend on a few factors. Like what part of Aus you reside in and what temperature regime your skinks are conditioned to. eg. I know of one Victorian keeper who has been having success already with mating his Northerns this season, whereas myself here in SEqld haven't even bothered to try yet as Autumn and early Winter have been so mild. I'll be waiting until late July at the earliest (but the skinks may have other ideas).

Eastern gestation periods do vary. Last season with my two litters of eastern's, their gestation periods were 108 days from last mating and 117 from last mating. Northerns averaged an extra 10-20 days on top of that. Word around the traps is that Blotchies will be longer than that again.

Is there a certain weight they should be before breeding?

I neglect to weigh any of my stuff so I will leave that for someone else to disclose. I will say that Easterns will breed at 18 months of age if they are near adult size/length, same with Northerns. But better results are had if you wait until they are two and half years old. Blotchies as I have already said, I don't have any first hand breeding data, maybe PM Richard.SC (a member on here and elsewhere) for the answers on the blotchies as he is quite partial to that form.

Cheers,
Dave.

Ps. Post up some pics of your blueys when you get a chance. Everyone likes looking at pictures right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back