Breeding Diamonds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmubzle

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm hoping to breed my diamond pythons at some point soon, and I'm wondering how I would go about doing that.

My diamonds are living in the same tank and they are about a year and a half/two years old. They are about 1.4 metres long and they eat once a fortnight.
Here are my questions!

1) How big do Diamond Pythons have to be before they can breed?
2) Should I feed them more regularly?
3) Do I have to separate them over winter before re-introducing them? (I only have the one tank and tanks are expensive :( )
4) Am I able to hibernate them when it isn't winter? (Not necessary but it would be handy :p )

I tried to hibernate them this year but after about 3 weeks of the heat being off, they were still trying to bask and they were reasonably active. I wasn't sure what to do so I turned the heat back up and fed them (probably a really stupid idea...). Is that normal?

Thanks guys :)

Invest in a book called Keeping and Breeding of Australian Pythons by Mike Swan. Read it once then read it again constantly. From the conditions you've described and the age of the pythons you have no chance of breeding them.

Also if you can afford a new enclosure for a snake you certainly can't afford hatchling facilities.

Seriously knowledge is the best start you can give yourself before breeding.

Good luck and maybe wait a season or two while you read up and let your pythons mature :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen to what Scotty said and also start saving some money Because you will need another tank to separate them in breeding season Here is a list of things you will need to breed.

Another enclosure you could build one yourself for about $250 or less
Hatchling rack to keep baby snakes in when hatch with the help of Jamie we built a 32 tub rack for me for about $50
Heat cords for rack
Then you will need a good quality thermostat for hatchling rack i would recommend Habistat
Incubator you could buy one or make one yourself that is just as good and is cheaper but you will need a good pulse proportional thermostat for the incubator again i recommend Habistat and also a heat cord for the incubator
And then just all the other thing for the baby snakes like hides and water bowls and things like that hope i could help

- - - Updated - - -

PM me if you want anymore information

Caleb.

Hi guys!

I'm hoping to breed my diamond pythons at some point soon, and I'm wondering how I would go about doing that.

My diamonds are living in the same tank and they are about a year and a half/two years old. They are about 1.4 metres long and they eat once a fortnight.
Here are my questions!

1) How big do Diamond Pythons have to be before they can breed?
2) Should I feed them more regularly?
3) Do I have to separate them over winter before re-introducing them? (I only have the one tank and tanks are expensive :( )
4) Am I able to hibernate them when it isn't winter? (Not necessary but it would be handy :p )

I tried to hibernate them this year but after about 3 weeks of the heat being off, they were still trying to bask and they were reasonably active. I wasn't sure what to do so I turned the heat back up and fed them (probably a really stupid idea...). Is that normal?

Thanks guys :)

At the moment your diamonds are too young regardless of their size. Young females often lay dud eggs, especially if they have been raised up too quickly. I would wait until she is 5-6 years old.

They don't need to be separated over winter for mating to be successful. Wild diamonds will brumate together over winter and then go straight into mating during spring, so breeding diamonds that are already familiar with each other isn't a bad thing. However, during mating it can help to give them a week apart and then back together again, as this tends to make the male more eager when he has been without the female for a week.

Brumating them when it isn't winter doesn't tend to work, since diamonds can remain active even when it is winter. They wont get the hint that you are trying to cool them down. They are a cold weather python, and really need to feel the cold nights of winter to realise that it's that time of year. Diamonds tend to remain active throughout winter and will always bask if given the opportunity.

It's important to continue giving diamonds summer temperatures during the day (30-32'c), but for less hours, and turn off the heating completely at night. It's the cold nights that send them into brumation. Allow the nights temps to drop as low as 10'c. This wont harm them as long as they have access to summer temps in the morning for about 4 hours. This will help keep their immune system up and avoid a respiratory infection from cold nights.

You'll also need A LOT of food. :p babies feed every 5 days. if you have 20 hatchies, thats around 120 mice per month. Just thought I'd give you a heads up :):)

thanks guys :)

It's coming up to the holidays and I will be making around $250 per week (part time worker). I read a little while ago that there was an owner who fed their snake way too much (like once every 3 days) and it was fully grown by the age of 2 and a half :/ TERRIBLE IDEA but I'm just wondering if they'd grow faster if I maybe fed them once every 9 days or something. I can afford a new tank I was just hoping I wouldn't have to buy one :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back